Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 29th, 2015 20:00

Itunes HD Video HDCP? Dell Optiplex 990

Hey guys,

I bought a Dell Optiplex 990 for work and I also have a Samsung 27 inch Monitor S27D390H.

When I try to play my itunes  HD movies it says that I need an HDCP display. I know this monitor is full 1080p HD. The monitor only had two connections HDMI ( which this computer does not have apparently ) or RGB which is whats hooked up now. If that is the issue what can i do to fix it without getting a new computer? Different graphics card with HDMI output? Any help would be appreciated. I thought I had this covered when I looked at the computer it said it had an Intel HD Card.

Thanks in advance. 

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 29th, 2015 23:00

RGB which is whats hooked up now

RGB is not copy-protected, which is why your iTunes movies do not play.

The monitor only had two connections HDMI ( which this computer does not have apparently )

I suggest using a DisplayPort-to-HDMI cable for this connection. It will be HDCP-compliant, and your iTunes HD videos will play.

The 990's CPU features Intel graphics, which are now well-regarded for HD video playback.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2015 08:00

For Desktop you need Low Profile R7 250 so that you can do HDMI to HDMI and not have video artifacts. HD Encrypted video has to be decrypted and then rendered which requires more overhead. The GPU helps offload the audio and video decryption tasks from the CPU.

INTEL Graphics is not great for 1080P aka resolution of 1920x1080

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Profile-PCI-Express-Graphics-11215-06-20G/dp/B00J06F4HE

April 30th, 2015 09:00

also just wanted to confirm it will fit the optiplex 990 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

* Download this ArcSoft HDCP Compliance Test tool to your windows desktop
* Install the application
* Open the BD & 3D Assistant icon on the desktop. The results will show what is HDCP compliant and what is not

Thanks for the recommendation. Will I need to upgrade anything in the computer to run this card? Fan?

If this will just drop in that would be great. Thanks

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 30th, 2015 10:00

Duplicate.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 30th, 2015 10:00

Thanks for the recommendation. Will I need to upgrade anything in the computer to run this card? Fan?

You don't need to upgrade anything, apart from the cable. The cable is under $20 when shipped to the U.S. The video card linked to will enhance gaming, but is overkill for HD video playback.

For video playback and general home theater use (non-4K), the onboard graphics are adequate. Intel, at Apple's urging, has made great strides in this area in recent years.

Yes, you will need to upgrade the chassis (to the minitower) and the power supply. (The minitower uses an ATX form factor power supply rather than a TFX).

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 30th, 2015 11:00

No Events found!