Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2002 23:00

Mad Mouse Lag

its been a few weeks since this started, whenver i open a web site the mouse starts to lag and the comp feels like its working real hard but it shouldnt and why is it doing it now. also on games at some parts my comp over works its self and it freezes bit by bit at scenes that im like shooting and into alot of action. i also have been gettin some vxd blue screans any1 know whats that about? i reformated several times and the same prob. and whenever i open a program same thing happens i get mouse lag and the program opens really slowly. it feels really weird because it sounds like my comp is trying so hard to open a a not so big program. any1 got any suggestions?

2.5K Posts

June 26th, 2002 13:00

Xoptonx,

Thank you for using the Dell | Talk forum.

You may have already tried this, but stop all background applications
to free up your system resources.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**Clearing the Startup Folder.**

Click on (Start,Programs,)
Find the (Startup) folder, and right click the mouse button over it.
You should get a small gray windows.
Go down to "Explore" and left click on "Explore"
You should get a "Startup" window that is split in two.
High light and delete all the icons on the right hand side of the Window.

**Using MSconfig to stop all background programs.**

Left-click on START | RUN.
Type in "msconfig" in the "Open" dialog box and left-click on "OK."
When the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, the "General" tab will be visible. Left-click on "Selective Startup."
Remove the check marks from each choice except "System.ini," by left clicking on the check marks.
Click the Startup tab.
Uncheck every entry.
Left-click on "Apply" and then left-click on "OK."
A message will appear stating that "For the changes to take place, the system must be restarted." Left-click on the "OK" button, and the system will begin the restart.

If the problem stops, then try using the steps below, to isolate the program that
is causing the problem.
Repeat the first couple steps above, but instead of un-checking the entries, re-check one entry at a time until you have identified the category that is the cause of the problem. After you have isolated the application, utility, or device driver that is causing the problem, you will be able to proceed with further troubleshooting. One of the easiest methods to attempt a resolution is to reinstall the problematic application or device driver. The entry causing the problem can be left disabled if it does not affect system operation.

**Delete old dos/legacy configuration files.**

Search the system for these files, delete them.
Autoexec.bat
Config.sys
Win.ini
-Delete "All" the files and folders in the ( C:\Windows\Temp ) and
( C:\Windows\Temporary Internet Files ) folder.
Search the system for any ( *.TMP ) files, and delete them.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, try to reset the I.E default settings.

1.Right click on the Internet Explorer icon.
2.Click on Properties.
3.Under the "General" tab, Temporary Internet Files Option, click the Delete Files button, and then click OK.
Under the History option, click the Clear History button.
**This will delete all web pages you have been to previously***
4.Under the "Security" tab, if applicable, click the Default Level button.
5.Under the "Programs" tab, click the Reset Web settingsbutton.
6.Click the "Advanced" tab, click the Restore Defaults button.
7.Click the Apply or OK buttons.
8.Restart the system.

Clear out the Temporary folders:

1.Open My Computer, and the Windows folder.
2.Open the Temp folder under the Windows folder.
3.Delete everything that is listed in the Temp folder.
4.Go back to the Windows Folder.
5.Open the Temporary Internet Files folder.
6.Delete everything that is listed in the Temporary Internet Files folder.
7.Close all open Windows and reboot the system.

If you have any applications like a firewall or anti-virus, try disabling the
programs to see if they are causing the problem.

55 Posts

June 26th, 2002 14:00

ya i did all that even after i reformated i still had problems

2.5K Posts

June 26th, 2002 15:00

Xoptonx,

Since you have reinstalled several times, the problem may be hardware related.
Open up the system case and remove/reseat all the components.
Make sure all the components are seated well, especially your memory.
You may also want to run the Dell Diagnostics to check for any hardware problems.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Run the Dell Diagnostics:

1. Connect to the internet and browse to this web link:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/register.asp?redirect=yes
2. If needed, type in your 5 to 7 digit Service Tag (look for a label on the computer), once you type in the 5 to 7 digit service tag number, click "Sign in using Service Tag"
3.Click on "Downloads "
Under the "Downloads" section of the page.
4.On the Upper Right hand side of the screen,
"Search Keywords or File Names,"
Type in the following file name: CD108010.exe
Then click the "Go" button.
5.Click on the Link that is brought up, and download the
"Floppy" version of the file.

This file contains a compressed (or zipped) set of files. Download the file to a folder on your hard drive, and then run (double-click) it to unzip the set of 1-5 files. Follow the instructions to create a set of floppy diskettes, and then use the diskettes to complete the installation.

To start the diagnostic tests boot the computer with the diagnostic disk in the appropriate drive.
The files will automatically load into the system.
The system will prompt for one several choices, depending on the extent and specificity of the tests to be run. For example, the choices will include:
(Fully test all devices, Quickly test all devices, Select Device to test, Exit to MSDOS.) Depending on the Diagnostic version,
some of these choices may not be available.
You should try running the (Fully test all devices), if any errors are encountered
when try to use this choice then use the (Quickly test all devices.)
If any errors are encountered when the Diagnostics program is running,
then it is an actual hardware failure.
Fully test all devices, will run an entire, comprehensive test on the computer system.
Quickly test all devices, will run all tests on the entire system, without running as an exhaustive test on the hard drive as the Run All Tests selection will.
Select a device to test, allows for the testing of specific components in the system; this choice is used if there is good reason to suspect a specific component may be the cause of the failure.
Within select a device to test, are several specific tests which individually test RAM, System Set (the chipset on the motherboard), Video, Keyboard, Mouse, Drives, Ports (serial and parallel), SCSI Devices, and Network Interfaces.
Exit to MS-DOS will exit the diagnostics to a command prompt.

NOTE: For most situations, you should Run Quick Tests.
You must have the Dell Resource CD or Windows CD, in the CDROM or DVD drive.
If you have a CDRW-Drive you must also have a blank formatted CDRW disk in that drive.
Disconnect all devices from the back of the system other then the, mouse,
keyboard, and monitor.
If you have a USB keyboard or mouse, you must switch to a PS2 keyboard or mouse. USB devices are not recognized by diagnostics.
What is the results of the Diagnostics test???

55 Posts

June 26th, 2002 23:00

k thx before i couldnt get the dell diagnostics to work and now i kno how and what if there is a problem with my hardware will it tell me how to fix it or will it fix itself?

2.5K Posts

June 27th, 2002 14:00

Xoptonx,

If there is a problem with any of the hardware, you will need to replace it.
In such a case, contact Tech Support directly.
Explain the problem, explain all the steps you have tried to fix the problem,
explain the error message you got from the Dell Diags.
(You may want to write down the error message word for word.)

You can E-mail Desktop support, using the following web address:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/emaildell/cc_opt01a.asp

55 Posts

June 27th, 2002 15:00

darn i also have a problem with my floppy drive. it all started when i disconnected it and reconnected it now when i double click on it says " the disk in drive a: is not formatted would u like to format it?" and i cant copy files to a floppy disk

2.5K Posts

June 27th, 2002 15:00

Xoptonx,

Check the floppy cable again, and the power cable to the floppy drive.
If the floppy drive light is always on, it means you flipped the cable ends.
Reset your bios defaults as well.

Enter the system setup program as follows:

Turn on (or restart) your system.
When the blue Dell™ logo appears, press (Del).
If you wait too long and the operating system begins to load into memory, let the system complete the load operation, then shut down the system and try again.

To clear NVRAM for all devices and restart the system, perform the following steps:
Enter the system setup program.
Press the right-arrow key to move to the Advanced menu.
Press the down-arrow key to highlight Reset Configuration Data. Then press the plus (+) key to change the setting to Yes (refer to Advanced Screen Menu Options table). Press (F10) to exit the program and restart the system.

Resetting the defaults in the "System Setup Program"
Enter the "System Setup Program"
Once inside, press the (F9) key, the say (YES) to:
"Restore default configuration now?"
When the defaults have been restored, press (F10), and say
(Yes to "Save changes and exit now.)?"

Last but not least, definately contact Tech Support directly.

Message Edited on 06/27/02 11:08AM by DELL_Karell

55 Posts

June 28th, 2002 13:00

k i got the floppy drive to work but now the dell diagnostics wont work, i tried the cd and the floppies, neither worked. and whats with nvram do i need to reset that and what will it do if i reset it?

2.5K Posts

June 28th, 2002 14:00

Xoptonx,

Yes, you should clear NVRAM.

NVRAM is an acronym for Non-Volatile Random Access Memory, a type of memory that retains its contents when power is turned off. One type of NVRAM is SRAM (Static Random Access Memory) that is made non-volatile by connecting it to a constant power source such as a battery. Another type of NVRAM uses EEPROM chips to save its contents when power is turned off. In this case, NVRAM is composed of a combination of SRAM and EEPROM chips.

The NVRAM chip is actually manufactured in layers and each layer can be made of a different substance so that it performs different functions. In a Dell computer, NVRAM contains the BIOS (Basic Input/Output System), a CMOS layer (complimentary metal-oxide semiconductor), and several other layers.

Since you have problem after problem cropping up, you may want to contact
support directly to get more hands on help.
You can E-mail Desktop support, using the following web address:
http://support.dell.com/us/en/emaildell/cc_opt01a.asp

• 

25.7K Posts

June 23rd, 2020 05:00

Thank you! We have received the required details. We will work towards a resolution via private messages to ensure the security of your information. In the meanwhile, you may receive assistance or suggestions from the community members as well.

No Events found!