Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 14th, 2008 20:00

Media Card Reader disappears. Question

When the Media Reader disappears, does the Bluetooth Hub also disappear? This can be determined by going into device manager and opening the list of USB controllers. There should by a HUB called CAB-200 (this is the media reader HUB) and another one, possibly underneath it, listed as a Generic USB HUB. The generic hub should be the HUB for the Bluetooth device. This can be confirmed by right clicking on it, selecting Properties, and then the Power tab. The Bluetooth device will listed under attached devices.

Message Edited by DELL-ChrisM on 03-14-2008 04:18 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

7 Posts

February 19th, 2011 14:00

Same problem for months, but with Windows 7 64bit .  I just Hot-Unplugged (while the computer was still on - DO AT YOUR OWN RISK!!) the reader cable from the motherboard and placed the cable into the secondary socket called FLEXBAY2 (from FLEXBAY1).  Windows started recognizing new Hardware.  Now my cards are recognized.

Just thought I would share this while I actually got a result !  Might not last, but hey, need to share !

16 Posts

May 16th, 2011 23:00

I aplogize if I'm already responding with something that someone else has tried.

I didn't have time to read through all the pages of this conversation, so I apologize if this has already been said.

Anyways, I have several vostro 420, vostro 200, 220 and XPS 410 and XPS 420

I installed windows 7 ( used to have Vista) and was having a problem with the media reader and the icons missing
Basically nothing would show up and only when I inserted an SD card (or another type) would it show up.
Real pain

I found a quick trick to help with the problem and that is 'showing hidden' drives

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/394-hidden-files-folders-show-hide.html

I can say it has successfully worked on Windows 7 64-bit as I'm running both Home Premium and Professional 64-bit
It also works with 32-bit

I can't remeber what files I downloaded for the icon manager, but I used the Dell ones from this site.  I also flashed the media reader, but I had done this using Vista 32-bit as 64-bit has given me problems before. 

Hope this helps

27 Posts

January 5th, 2012 03:00

Morning I was having the same on my xps 410  and your solution work for me

thank you

8 Posts

March 3rd, 2015 17:00

Frequently Ill put a SD or CF card in the internal media card reader and it disappears from my computer and device manager. No error just gone! The only way to get it back is power down system and "Unplug" power cord. Works for 2 or 3 times and the same thing happens. Dell tried a few software and settings fixes but that didn't work. Then the sent me a new media card reader but same thing happens. Now they want to replace the mother board and power supply but I doubt that's is too..

4 Posts

March 4th, 2015 13:00

This is a grounding issue.  All you need to do is touch a screw on the chassis and then insert the card.  Keep touching the screw until the card is in.  Since I started doing this a few years back I haven't had it fail once.

6 Posts

August 7th, 2016 14:00

The problem does appear to be related to improper grounding of the card reader as mentioned in this thread by another.  You can try grounding the card reader to the chassis (a bare metal area) or do what I do.  I just touch a screw head on the back of my PC and then I insert the card.  I don't remove my finger from the screw until the card is in.  I haven't had a failure since I have been doing this.

No Events found!