Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2013 07:00

Memory upgrade for XPS 8500

My XPS 8500 system currently has 8 GB of RAM installed; what would be the performance gain by increasing to 12 GB or 16 GB?  I am a general user---not a gamer, but I do edit many photos (no movies).

Also,  my XPS 8500 system is tightly installed inside a desk cabinet which makes it impossible to use the top on/off switch without sliding the whole tower out of its shelf.  When I purchased the system, I knew it would just fit inside my cabinet, but I did not know that the on/off button was on the top of the case.  Is it possible to install the components of my XPS 8500 system into a smaller case?  If so, where do I obtain such a case?  Will the motherboard and components fit into a generic case?  (I have an older Dell Vostro system which did fit into my desk cabinet.  Would that case work to house the XPS 8500 components?)

Thank you

DoctorDED

4 Operator

• 

2.2K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 07:00

Hi DoctorDED,

Dell XPS 8500 supports up to a maximum of 32 GB system memory.

For a general user, upgrading the memory to 16 GB will not make a lot of difference.

I would not recommend you to use a smaller cabinet for XPS 8500.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 10:00

You should remove the computer from the cramped desk asap. It is very bad for a high powered new computer to restrict the air flow around it. You will suffer component failure sooner. Put it on the floor if you have to but place a mat or board under it . It is best if you can place it higher on a small table.

No Events found!