Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 18th, 2013 22:00

Motherboard dead?

I have an old Dimension 4700 and all of a sudden I start getting a blinking yellow/amber light in the front and  the computer would not turn on. The diagnostic light were not turning on and neither  the fans were working.

So I assume it was a power supply failure.  I replace the power supply, the fans started working, spinning and now I have a steady yellow light, no longer a blinking one and nothing else happens. I still do not have the diagnostic lights turning on. I removed the network card and  the memory to see if there was a problem and nothing happen too.

What do you all think ?  Do I have a dead motherboard?  If it is dead, why do I  still see a green light on the board.?

Thanks.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 19th, 2013 00:00

Everything should work as before, but the internal service tag will be different.

Here's a reasonably-priced one: www.ebay.com/.../121090652864

6 Posts

April 18th, 2013 23:00

I removed each memory, one at a time and it still did not power on. I also removed again the network card.  I removed mouse, keyboard and monitor and nothing happened as well, I still have the steady yellow light.

Now I only have the open tower and the fans are spinning, the hard drive appears to be spinning too but the yellow light does not turn to green neither the ABCD diagnostic light in the back are on, they are all off.  

What else can I do ?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

Hi,

Solid amber indicates a Pre post failure on the computer. The Pre-P.O.S.T. stage is defined by a condition where the system gets power and can distribute power to its internal components, but cannot process data.

I recommend checking with one memory at a time. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals and check if the computer boots.

To isolate the issue, remove each component and try to power on the computer. If the computer boots,  put back the component to verify if the component is faulty.

Click on the following link and follow the steps to reseat/remove the partson the computer:

http://dell.to/XJSj0C

From the above link click   Manual and Documentation and Service manual to access the steps to reseat/remove the partson the computer.

Before Opening the chassis, I recommend you to remove the battery and disconnect the adapter, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power.

NOTE: Reseat/replace  the parts if you are comfortable in doing so.

** NOTE: Please ensure that the power cable of the computer is disconnected before opening the chassis.

Awaiting your response!

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

Try removing the coin-shaped battery from the motherboard for a minute or so. If neither that nor any subsequent measures work, you have a few options: replace the motherboard with an OEM unit; replace the motherboard, CPU and memory; and scrap it.

The 4700 accepts a standard micro-ATX motherboard and the front panel wiring is standard apart from the front audio port, which is Soundblaster-type.

6 Posts

I removed the battery and did not work also.

I guess I have no other option but buying a new motherboard.

Just a dummy question now:

If  a replace the motherboard with the same one all should work as before considering that the hard drive in not dead too ? I mean, will I have any problem with the windows and anything that is in the hard drive ?

6 Posts

Thanks a lot.

Will get a new motherboard .

6 Posts

April 27th, 2013 16:00

I'm out of options, I just purchased a working motherboard and I still get the amber light. The computer won't power on. I  even put new memory and nothing seems to work. The first thing I replaced was the power supply, it stopped giving me a blinking amber light to a steady light. What else can be wrong ?

I still don't get the diagnostic lights to light on.

Please I urgent need some help.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

April 27th, 2013 19:00

Did you try it without any of the front panel ports connected? Sometimes a bent pin in a USB port can cause problems.

If the power supply is good and the motherboard is good, potential problem causes are limited.

1 Message

February 7th, 2016 23:00

Thank you, I disconnected the front panel USB connectors from the Motherboard it gets booting.

No Events found!