Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2007 02:00

Msg: Intel (r) Grantsdale-G PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS

On my dell dimension E310 lately, whenever I turn it on, it immidiately goes to a black screen with the following message:

Intel (r) Grantsdale-G PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS
Build Number: 3414 PC Dev    04/12/2004   17:02:24
DECOMPILATION OR DISASSEMBLY PROHIBITED
Copyright (c)  2000-2003 Intel Corp.  All Rights Reserved.

The screen is frozen and neither my mouse nor my keyboard turn on.  I have tried a few things including trying to toggle the CMOS jumper and password jumper, but it didnt do anything.  I think I may need to replace my motherboard battery, but I'm not sure.  If anyone has experienced this problem or knows how to fix it, can you help me?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

March 1st, 2007 09:00

That is referring to the video.  Could be a hardware problem with the video, spyware or a virus causing it, or corrupted BIOS. 

Do you get any diagnostic beeps or lights?

9.4K Posts

March 1st, 2007 10:00

Amazenmets831,  it sounds like you have a PCI video card installed,  if so, try removing the card and use the integrated video to see if the system will boot normally.

March 1st, 2007 19:00

The diagnostics lights that were on were 1, 2, and 3 which according to the manual means:
  • Ensure that the cables are properly connected to the system board from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive (see System Board Components).

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

• If there is an error message on your screen identifying a problem with a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive), check the device to ensure that it is functioning properly.
  • The operating system is attempting to boot from a device (such as the floppy drive or hard drive); check system setup (see System Setup) to make sure the boot sequence is correct for the devices installed on your computer.
  • If the problem persists, contact Dell for technical assistance.

Also, Majestic, the computer does not have a PCI video card.  The monitor is connected directly to the integrated video.  Do you think I might need to buy a PCI video card to fix the problem?

9.4K Posts

March 2nd, 2007 11:00

Amazenmets831, if you don't have a graphics card installed then I wouldn't worry about it.  I was thinking that the boot up was hanging when the system is detecting a separate graphics card.  Since you are using the integrated video then I would suspect the system is hanging due to a hardware detection problem after the integrated video is being detected. 

I would suggest following the recommendation of the Service Manual.  Try disconnecting your drives one at time from the ribbon cable to see if the system will boot up to another drive containing a bootable media.  I would start by disconnecting the hard drive.

March 4th, 2007 01:00

i tried disconnecting the hard drive, didnt work.  then i disconnected the cd drive, didnt work.  wat else is there to do?  is it possible that there's a problem with my motherboard?

9.4K Posts

March 4th, 2007 13:00

Amazenmets831, try the trouble-shooting steps I have listed below .....

Try clearing the NVRAM (CMOS) to see if it resolves the boot problem.  Possibly the information stored in the NVRAM (CMOS) became corrupted which is not uncommon.  Normally you would clear the NVRAM (CMOS) by entering the BIOS Setup, but it would appear that you can not do so.  The alternative would be to remove the battery from the motherboard to clear the NVRAM (CMOS).  With the machine unplugged from the wall remove the battery from the motherboard.  Then with the machine still unplugged press the On button for 30 seconds to dissipate any remaining electrical charge on the motherboard.  Then re-install the battery, plug the machine back into the wall and see if it will boot normally. Depending on the age of the system you might try installing a new battery when clearing the NVRAM.  A failed battery can cause a variety of boot up problems. A new 3-Volt, CR2032, coin cell battery can be purchased for around $3 (US) and is available at any Radio Shack, computer stores and most discount stores like Wal-Mart.

If the machine still fails to boot then strip the motherboard down to the bare minimum.  By bare minimum I mean remove all expansion cards, disconnect all drives and leave just the processor, memory and graphics card in the machine after reseating them.  If the computer boots this way then start connecting each device one at a time until the no boot scenario returns.  This would then indicate which device has failed and is causing the problem.  Also try booting the system without the keyboard, mouse or any other device plugged into the rear of the system.  A faulty USB device has been known to cause problems. If you have more than one memory module (pair with RDRAM) installed then try booting with only one and then swap them around and try again. If you only have one memory module (pair with RDRAM) then try booting without any memory modules installed. Also try swapping the graphics card for another one.  If this procedure doesn't
resolve the problem then you maybe looking at a situation where the motherboard.

March 5th, 2007 01:00

i bought a new 3v battery, that didnt work.  then i stripped the motherboard like you said and that still didnt work.  there must be a problem with the motherboard. there's nothing else that i can do except get someone in my house to try and fix it.

9.4K Posts

March 5th, 2007 12:00

Amazenmets831, it sounds like you have taken all the right steps in trying to trouble-shoot the problem.  About the only thing left is the motherboard. I'm assuming that the system is still under warranty so that should take care of the necessary repairs for you.

August 30th, 2014 08:00

Intel (r) Grantsdale-G PCI Accelerated SVGA BIOS
Build Number: 3414 PC Dev    04/12/2004   17:02:24
DECOMPILATION OR DISASSEMBLY PROHIBITED
Copyright (c)  2000-2003 Intel Corp.  All Rights Reserved.

The screen is frozen and neither my mouse nor my keyboard turn on.  I have tried a few things including trying to toggle the CMOS jumper and password jumper, but it didnt do anything.  I think I may need to replace my motherboard battery, but I'm not sure.  If anyone has experienced this problem or knows how to fix it, can you help me?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 30th, 2014 15:00

This thread is 7+ years old and has been locked due to it's age, when you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev.   

No Events found!