Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2013 22:00

My computer cannot detect my microphone after upgrading to Windows 8; no line-in detected.

I am using a Dell XPS 420.

Onboard Soundcard, never bothered to really replace it. I've upgraded other aspects of the desktop: The video card and RAM. I upgraded from Vista to 7, I had the same problem. All I had to do was install the Vista drivers from this website. The drivers are not compatible for Windows 8. I bought a headset that before I upgraded to Windows 8, but after uprgrading the microphone isn't even detected. It doesn't detect a line-in or a stereo mix. I've tried displaying disabled devices, nothing there. It's getting frustrating and I would like to use my headset. If anyone can help, I'd be greatful.

Thanks.

1.5K Posts

June 11th, 2013 23:00

Hi Floattube,

Dell has not tested XPS 420 with either Windows 7 or Windows 8. The drivers for the same are also not available. You may try to install the driver in compatibility mode. Please paste a screenshot of the ‘Device Manager’ with ‘Sound, Video and Game Controllers’ expended.

Keep me posted with the information. I will be glad to assist you.

2 Posts

June 12th, 2013 08:00

I've already tried installing the drivers in compatibility mode, both for Vista and XP. \

http://i.imgur.com/XrNpjMO.png

1.5K Posts

June 13th, 2013 02:00

Hi Floattube,

It seems that the device is not compatible with Windows 8. That is why the microphone is not getting detected.

Please feel free to reply for any further questions. I will be glad to assist you.

1 Message

June 13th, 2013 11:00

I had this happen to me as well. I opened the computer and found a free slot for another sound card with jacks for speakers and mic etc. You can buy one at a computer parts store or online on Amazon or places like TigersDirect of course...but I purchased from a used CREATIVE SOUNDBLASTER BRAND computer part store in town for $2.50 on sale. But they had them there for $4-5 each normally.   

I inserted it firmly in slot put back the one screw in to tighten it in securely. 

Turned on the computer with my mic and speakers in new jacks.  NOTE don't worry it may or may not install new drivers automatically but you can go to see if updating drivers internally will work but most likely it won't.  I did not pay for one of the DriverUpdater programs but there is a free one that I got from cnet downloads that is really helpful and totally FREE. it is called SlimDrivers.  

Download the free version to desktop, run exe file and choose to start up, run scan and just let it run till it shows which drivers are outdated or not present.

You will have to run each device listed that you want to update.

On the list of Sound Devices you should not see your newly installed sound card.  click on Update driver and then just wait till it the program leads you to approving the download from the company that the sound card is from.

You might as well update all the rest as well. It may take time but it is worth it. 

After I did all this I restarted computer and Wala! I had sound and my mic worked as well.  

Good Luck!

I am not an expert by any sense of the word but have fixed 6 old pc's recently.

No Events found!