Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 26th, 2006 11:00

NDIS.SYS Stop Error

New system - XPS600 with NForce chipset (wish I'd known before I ordered!!!). Getting frequent IRQL_Less_Than_Or_Equal_To (ndis.sys) errors (Running XP). I assume this is related to the network controller. Will installing a third party Ethernet card eliminate the problem? Thanks.

BTW - all drivers are up to date (from the OEM Websites) and the BIOS is flashed to the latest release. Unfortunately there does not seem to be any recent driver for the Nforce Network Controller.

240 Posts

May 26th, 2006 18:00

man i have had 3 XPS' giving me the same problem for sooooooooo many months..

i disabled DEP by editing boot.ini...all the messages have gone.

try it...you will be happier

47 Posts

May 27th, 2006 20:00

Try the motherboard drivers from the nVidia website.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_x16_6.85

16 Posts

May 27th, 2006 22:00

I installed all the appropriate drivers when I got the system (first thing I do with all new systems is format and start from scratch). However, when I read the "driver installation hints" on the page you listed I saw that they recommended that the video driver should be uninstalled before installing the various hw drivers included in the "package" on that page. So I uninstalled the video driver, installed the smbus and ethernet drivers (2 of the 4 in that package - the other two were not relevant to my problem) and then reinstalled the current video driver. We'll see what happens.

I also ordered a Linksys ethernet card and if the problem doesn't stop I'll install that next week and see if there's a way to disable the onboard nvidia networking card / port in the bios. I'll post back with any results, postitive or negative. Thanks for the thoughts so far.

16 Posts

May 28th, 2006 01:00

Yeah, well - that didn't work out too well. After installing those hw drivers the system would no longer shut down properly (froze at the Saving Settings screen). Tried all troubleshooting methods, couldn't fix it, so I had to restore the system (Acronis image) to just before I installed the drivers. That puts me back to where I was at the beginning of this thread. I'll install the new ethernet card when it arrives and see what happens.

BTW - I run the support forum at tweaks.com (formerly tweakxp.com), so I am technically oriented. I've tried everything I can think of and am certain this is a hardware / driver conflict of some sort and is certainly directly related to the nvidia chipset.

2.1K Posts

May 28th, 2006 02:00

You aren't alone with this problem - haven't read through the posts but maybe you'll find something of use..

http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/search?board_id=xps_desk_genhdw&submitted=true&q=NDIS.SYS+

16 Posts

May 28th, 2006 08:00

Thanks, but I searched the forum and read those threads before posting.

240 Posts

May 28th, 2006 11:00

did u try doing what i suggested man?????

16 Posts

May 28th, 2006 16:00

Sorry - yes, I disabled DEP with no change.

47 Posts

May 28th, 2006 18:00

As it's new and you've probably not got alot on it try reformatting, then install windows then when you're installing the drivers put the motherboard drivers in first and use the ones from the nvidia site not the dell site

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_nf4_winxp32_x16_6.85

you will have to copy the file onto a cd before you format.

Then see what happens. If that fails then there's probably something wrong with the hardware and you should get a replacement.

16 Posts

May 28th, 2006 18:00

Of course I'm not going to reformat. And the fact that it's new does not mean it's empty. I have two 250 Gb drives with a TON of stuff.

Please - if the best you can come up with is "reformat" you should not be posting in support forums.

Message Edited by allandg on 05-28-200603:00 PM

2.1K Posts

May 29th, 2006 02:00

You didn't mention doing a search for ndis.sys - I did and found many references with an Altavists search that may help you:

http://www.altavista.com/web/results?itag=ody&q=NDIS.SYS+&kgs=1&kls=0

16 Posts

May 29th, 2006 11:00

Thanks VC. Yes, I did search both the web and this site before posting. Lots of hits, nothing helpful (or at least nothing that worked for me).

16 Posts

May 29th, 2006 15:00

I am sometimes using Shareaza which includes a bittorrent client, yes.

47 Posts

May 29th, 2006 15:00

When it crashes are you using bittorrent by any chance?

16 Posts

May 29th, 2006 19:00

As I said, I installed all of those drivers when I originally got the system and reformatted, installing everything from scratch. I used the same drivers, but the version(s) on the dell driver disk may have been different from those on the link you posted. Regardless, once I install the Linksys ethernet card and the appropriate driver for that, hopefully the issue will be resolved.
No Events found!