Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2010 11:00

NVIDIA 8800GTX - Screen Problems

I have been having problems with my XPS 720 for a few months - the display has been badly effected. I have an NVIDIA 8800GTX graphics card and the problem happened shortly after I updated the drivers.

I just read about problems caused by NVIDIA drivers and I need to know how to follow this up, with Dell, with NVIDIA or what?

I have checked the monitor using my laptop as a source and that's OK. I have also tried rolling back drivers and that has not solved the problem. I am left with fine "yellow streaks" running vertically down the screen and lots of "garbage" showing when you first log in. The machine wont run any games or even the screensaver.

I got the machine in January 2008 and it's been brilliant. and I know the graphic cards are given a three year warranty (good news given that my Dell support expired a few months ago).

Given the cause seems likely to be linked to the faulty driver it would be awful to have to buy a new card - please help!

14.4K Posts

June 13th, 2010 16:00

Your card is going. The 8800GTXs do run hot and 2 years on one is really about average.

As to the warranty on the card it would be the same as for the computer so if you computer warranty has expired then the card warranty has also expired.I think it is more coincidence than the driver that is the cause of your problem. I have been running Nividia cards and drivers on my system for almost 3 yrs with not issues.

now what you can try in the mean time is to obtain the version of the driver you had before you updated, The pick up a copy of DriverSweeper.

Download the file install but do not run it. Once you have both the driver file and Driver Sweeper. uninstall your current video drive. Shut down and reboot into safe mode. Once you are in safe mode then run Driver Sweeper and clean out all the old Nvidia display drivers. Be careful that you only clean the Nividia video drivers and the the chipset drivers.

Once you have run Driver Sweeper go ahead and reboot back into normal mode and try reinstalling the Video driver.

I really think though that you will need a new card. Go get yourself a GTX470 you'll love it..

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 13th, 2010 12:00

Hi Vincelammas,

First, your graphics card is covered by your Dell warranty, not an NVidia warranty.

You mentioned driver issues but seem to have forgotten to provide the version of the drivers you are having trouble with. It would be helpful to know that.

June 14th, 2010 16:00

Thanks for the advice folks, very helpful.

I think getting 3 years running life for such an expensive but of kit is ridiculous.

Nevermind though - I decided to bite the bullet and get a new GPU today - saved some money by getting a GeForce GT240 rather than the more expensive kit. I think it will be more than sufficient for my needs.

I installed the card this evening (10 minutes work), updated the drivers and its working wonderfully .... fantastic. I will run a few games tomorrow and see how they perform.

I used the cash saved to buy a second SATA drive (which I am now wrestling with installation) and a copy of Windows 7- which I am considering whether to install on the XPS 720 or my M1330 laptop (which I use more often).

Vince

14.4K Posts

June 14th, 2010 16:00

The 240 is a good card,  I switched from a 260 to the 470 for the Direct X  11 upgrade, since I am running win 7 on my rig.

No Events found!