Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2009 23:00

Names of drivers

I bought a Dell GX60 on e-Bay, that supposedly had Windows XP Pro. It turns out that it was a trial version and that trial version expired about 2 weeks after my purchase and locked me out. No disks came with the computer. I have a purchased copy of Windows XP, but had a great deal of difficulty getting it installed on the machine because the GX60 also had no removable drives.

I did finally get Win XP installed via a double terminal IDE cable with the drive hanging outside the machine, (no bay available :~) ). My screen resolution is very low and the integrated network card was not recognized by windows set-up. With another computer I downloaded drivers from the Dell driver download page for the GX60. I also noted the information regarding the order of driver updating (installation). The problem is that the Dell drivers have numerical, instead of descriptive names, so I don't which is for what. The download page gives driver descriptions, but not driver names. I'm not sure how to resolve this problem. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I'm lost on this.

Thanks for any help.

Charles1957B

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 11th, 2009 01:00

Charles1957B,

This article explains the order to install drivers. If you need help with installing specific drivers, you can try installing Everest Home Edition. Click on computer, click on summary. On anything that's highlighted in blue, left click on it, then click on driver download and it will take you to the download page for the available drivers for that item.

Rick

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

February 12th, 2009 09:00

Charles1957B,

I'm glad you get everything working. In the email you get, click at the top where it says, Names Of Drivers or click here and it will bring you back to this post.

Then click on verify answer(s) on the post(s) that helped you fix the problem with your computer. This way if anyone else searches the forums, they can see what you did to fix your computer.

Rick

No Events found!