Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 28th, 2013 12:00

Need advice on which Win 7 OS to buy

I have an Inspiron 530 [Amin Note: Service Tag Edited per TOU policy] that is about 5 years old and came with Vista.  Q6600 2.40 Ghz and 4 GB RAM

I have a laptop that came installed with Win 7 and want to upgrade my desktop to Win 7.  I'm not interested in Win 8. I may want to upgrade my I-530 at some future point to a 64 bit system by either buying a new desktop or maybe venture into a new mobo.  I see that MSFT offers Win 7 in both 64 and 32 bit versions.  If I buy a 64 bit OS will it install and work properly on my current 32 bit system?

Also, I'm pretty much decided on Win 7 Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - System Builder (OEM) that is available at Best By for $136 and free shipping (same price for 32 bit version) but I don't know if the 64 bit system will install on my 32 bit computer.  Also, I don't understand the OEM.  Does that mean that I need to already have win 7 on the computer that I'm installing the OS on?  Is there an "upgrade" version that is less expensive for upgrading from Vista to win 7?

Finally, if you know of a substantially cheaper price than BB let me know.

Any advice will be appreciated - thanks.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

June 28th, 2013 16:00

Hi Lee,

There's no reason if your hardware supports a 64-bit OS why it can't run Win 7 Pro. I assume custom installation really means clean installation.

As far as returning to Vista, apart from using the Dell recovery disc (if you prepared these), there's no way to go from a clean installation of any 64-bit OS back to the original OS without reinstalling. However, the upgrade advisor should tell you exactly which hardware and software needs to be updated. Honestly, I know of no one who ever went back to Vista after upgrading to Win 7. Virtually all hardware and software today are supported on both of those operating systems.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

June 28th, 2013 13:00

Hi Lee Beck,

Dell has not tested Inspiron 530 for Windows 7 .Therefore you will not find Windows 7 drivers for it. The system supports both 32 bit and 64 bit Operating system. You can run ‘Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor’ from the link below and check if the system is compatible with Windows 7.

http://bit.ly/XGbQRT

OEM means ‘Original Equipment Manufacturer’ software. For Example: Dell purchases Microsoft Windows for the Dell hardware and customizes the operating system to its hardware needs.

Please let me know if this helps.

79 Posts

June 28th, 2013 15:00

Thanks.  I ran the upgrade adviser and got some interesting results.

First, the adviser provided a 2-part report.  One under the heading Information about upgrading to 32-bit Windows 7 and one under the heading Information about upgrading to 64-bit Windows The 32 bit report 7 says "You can upgrade to 32-bit Windows 7 Home Premium or Ultimate."  As mentioned, I want to upgrade to Win 7 professional.  Is the pro option simply not listed or is it not mentioned because it won't work?  The 64 bit report says 

Custom installation required
You'll need to perform a custom installation of 64-bit Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin.

The above block is cut/pasted but the missing graphic is ain a yellow triangle.  I'm fairly proficient in doing a custom install and reinstalling programs, so that doesn't scare me.  Then there are some software "not tested" comparability warnings for items that I have on my win 7 laptop but that is installed with Home Premium.

Can I assume that if the software works with Home Premium it'll work with professional also?  I can hook most of the hardware to my laptop to check it out but as m entioned that is premium not pro.  I also can check with the hardware mfgr about compatibility but I recall many devices and software simply state "compatible with Windows 7."

I guess what I'm asking is professional the same as premium except for some added functionality/bells/whistles?  If so, I can check the questionable stuff on my laptop and if it works there then it'll probably work with a professional upgrade to my desktop.  I can of course install the cheaper premium version but there are some features of the pro version that I want (not need) and am willing to pay the extra for.

Finally, is there an option to return to the previous OS (Vista) if the upgrade isn't acceptable to me due to the need to trash some expensive hardware/software?  I'd rather waste the $136 than to need to replace thousands of dollars on HW/SW.

79 Posts

June 28th, 2013 18:00

Thanks to you and Ravi.  I've read additional info from MSFT here and here.  I think with the confidence provided by you guys and the MSFT instructions I'll be okay.  I only wanted to look before the leap.

I'll order 7 pro tonight and install using the custom/clean install when it is delivered.

However, if anyone reading these posts has additional warnings or information I'll accept those with gratitude.

Thanks again

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 29th, 2013 21:00

The 530 uses Realtek network and audio ICs, and an Intel chipset. Windows 7 drivers are available for all of those.

I had my 220s (similar to the 530) configured with Windows 7 x64 way back in 2009.

79 Posts

June 30th, 2013 15:00

Thanks. I ordered 7 pro x64 a couple of days ago from amazon for $130. I have Acronis true I,age backup files on an external Hdd so I can skip the separate file backup step recommended. I will disconnect my second internal Hdd ant tne external Hdd and work the computer with only the boot drive and other hardware installed. Then I'll reconnect all drives and cross my fingers Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

July 1st, 2013 01:00

Some additional help see Windows Reinstallation Guide / A Clean install of Windows 7. This will instruct you on Clean installation of Windows 7 which will give you optimal performance.

Dell don't support Windows 7 for this model but the drivers are all available. I have salvaged them from other Dell systems and created an unofficial driver set for Windows 7 64 bit for this model here: Inspiron 530 - Windows 7 64 Bit.

Note everything should work on Windows 7 64 bit without issues. If on the off chance you have something which is very rare and doesn't - we have some old scientific instruments for instance. - You can always download the 32 bit .iso from Digital River and switch to the 32 bit version.

No Events found!