Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2016 02:00

Need an audio driver for a Dell L800r - for Win98SE

Hi all I need some help:

I have some ancient flight simulators that won't run on any OS newer than Win98SE so last year I e-bay-ed up a Win98SE gaming machine; Dell model L800r.  I have been very happy with the machine but then I wanted to make the machine a dual boot to both Win98SE and XP. as I also have 2 simulators that won't run on anything except XP!

Long story short; the dual boot upgrade didn't work out so I backed out of it and rebuilt the machine with Win98SE.  Unfortunately the OS install disk that came with the machine didn't have the correct video or audio drivers on it.

I went to the Dell driver download pages and found a good video driver and some other patches but none of the 6 Win98SE audio driver options work.  I have been unable to find documentation on a model L800r so I can't determine what audio card is on the motherboard - it had working sound before I messed with it so there is a driver out there somewhere!

Anyway, can somebody help me find a driver - or at least tell me what audio card is on the motherboard so that I could try and run down the correct audio driver for Win98SE?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--Richard

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 25th, 2016 09:00

The XPS has many many many different video and audio cards. All PCI based. This is not the psychic friends network.

Drivers are not supported anymore for WIN98 or WIN98SE.

CHIPSET MUST BE FIRST

Description Supported OS Download
Intel 800 Series Integrated Chipset, v. 2.00, A01
Intel 810 Chipset A01More details
Windows 95
Windows 98

http://downloads.dell.com/published/pages/dimension-l-r.html

Description Version Supported OS Download
Creative Labs Sound Blaster Live! 512V, v. SBLV-DLPAT-1-LA, A03
Patch resolves DEVLDR32 problem when in multi user mode in WinXP.More details
SBLV-DLPAT-1-LA Windows XP
Windows 98
Windows Me
Windows 2000
Creative Labs Sound Blaster 64 PCI, v. s6_02upd, A01RCD
Newest driver and applications package designed to automatically detect the Operating System, and the Language.More details
s6_02upd Windows Me
Windows NT 4.0
Windows 2000
Windows 98
Windows 95

• Description Supported OS Download
      Dell Patches And Fixes (Desktop), A00
      Execute the file USBKBfix.exe. Follow the onscreen instructions.More details
      Windows 98

Description Supported OS Download
      Intel 810 Series Integrated Video, 815 Series Integrated Video, v. PV 6.3 Kit 3857, A02
      Intel 810, 810e, 815 and 815e Video Driver PV 6.3 Kit 3857More details
      Windows 98
      Windows Me

2 Posts

January 1st, 2017 11:00

Hmmm....

I think the chipset update worked - after a reboot it found a bunch of new hardware...

But I still don't have any luck with the sound driver.  Maybe I don't have  a Creative Labs sound card??

Confused....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 12:00

There is the soundblaster 64 and the live 512 CARD and turtle beach card all which use different drivers.

oPEN The box and take card out and get the model

there are also hardware conflicts if the board has onboard sound.

You must disable onboard sound if the motherboard has it.

No Events found!