Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 7th, 2015 13:00

New SATA 3 Hard Drive installs as SATA 2 XPS8700

Hello,

I have an SSD for C:, the original 1T HD for D: and have just added a 4TB HGST drive. Alas, while the others installed as SATA 3 this installs as SATA 2!

Windows 8.1 of course.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jim

13 Posts

June 8th, 2015 14:00

SOLUTION FOUND!

Here was my hard drive to motherboard arrangement that did not work:

Port Numbers as identified by Intel RST software!

Port 0 - The SSD connected at 6.0Mbps. This originally had the 1TB hard drive
Port 1 - This is where I relocated the 1TB hard drive to when I purchased the SSD connected at 6.0Mbps
Port 2 - This is where DELL installed the Optical Drive (1.5MBps)
Port 3 - This is where I installed the 4TB hard drive which would only configure as SATA 2 (3.0Mbps)

I swapped the wires between the 4TB and the Optical drives and the mother board to test for bad wires. The problem remained so I swapped them back. Again the problem remained.

I swapped the wires at the hard drive ONLY and the problem went away! It seems that either:
1. Only three ports are SATA 3 - unlikely
2. Installing a Hard Disk after an optical confuses things

So this configuration works great:

Port 0 - The SSD. This originally had the 1TB hard drive
Port 1 - This is where I relocated the 1TB hard drive to when I purchased the SSD
Port 2 - The 4TB hard drive now connecting at 6.0Mbps. This originally had the Optical Drive at 1.5Mbps
Port 3 - The Optical Drive connecting at 1.5Mbps

I tried booting from CD-ROM no issues!

13 Posts

June 8th, 2015 14:00

It seems I cannot edit a post. A typo on my part. All references to Mbps should of course be Gbps!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 8th, 2015 17:00

Where are you seeing that the drive is only recognized as SATA2?

What happens if you disconnect the old D: drive and connect the new one to that SATA port. Does it appear as SATA3 now?

You can edit your posts. Log in and hover your mouse over the right end of the blue "Posted by"  box. A down arrowhead should appear with a drop down menu that has Edit as one of the options. :emotion-5:

13 Posts

June 9th, 2015 12:00

Open the Intel RST application
on the right side, click select the drive in question
On the LEFT side, click on the word "advanced"
Observe the SATA transfer rate.

It seems I do not have enough "rights" to edit. If I hoover as you suggest a balloon appears but there is no edit in it.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 9th, 2015 18:00

Saw an email alert about your latest post but that post doesn't appear here. Seems you fixed the problem by connecting the new HDD "ahead" of the optical drive.

That's where I was going when I asked what happens if you swapped the old and new HDD connections. Just wanted to make sure the new drive was actually functional at SATA3 speeds before having you put it ahead of the optical drive.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

June 9th, 2015 18:00

BTW: Not sure why you can't edit your own posts, as long as you're logged into that same account. Perhaps it's a browser issue if you're using Firefox or Chrome rather than IE...?

Here's what I see when I hover over the right end of the blue box using IE11:

3 Posts

June 21st, 2015 01:00

Oh I see what you are say now You are Referering to  the the type of the SATA HDD, such as the Speed of each SATA HDD Connected. 3GB, 6GB, etc..

This is Controlled by The System BIOS And also the Hardware Controller that your System Has and by the Operating System you have, and most of by the SATA HDD Unit

Now most of the newer SATA HDD Are Backward compatable with the older SATA HDDsI hope this, so if you connect an older SATA HDD to A Controller That can support The  Faster speeds of 3GB, And 6GB they will work ok but will only have the lower speeds of The HDD unit.

talker1937.

3 Posts

June 21st, 2015 01:00

I also have a Dell XPS 8700 Model Desktop, and I now have 3 SATA type Seagate Brand HDD Installed .

The out of the box Setup was as follows: Using the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology Program That Came Installed from The Dell Factory.

Port-0 / SATA HDD (C:) The Boot Drive .hat has the System OS Which is Win-7 Professional SP1.

Port-1 / APAPI CD/DVD Removable Media Drive.

Now then I add the following to this Dell XPS 8700 Model Desktop PC.

Port-2 / SATA HDD.

Port-3 / SATA HDD.

Port-4 / Empty.

So I Did not have any Installation Problems.

But This System Came From The Factory With Windows-7 Professional x64 SP1 that was installed after the original factory OS which was a win 8.1 Professional x64 that was Downgraded to the win-7 professional x64 SP1 System at the Factory, It Only Came With The Original Win 8.1 x64 installation Disc DVD Media. and the Version of the Windows-7 Professional x64 SP! OS is An OEM Version, But the Installation DVD Media Disc that came with the Dell XPS 8700 Model Desktop system is an Windows 8.1 Recovery Media for Windows 8.1 Products x64 bit, dell said that Disc could be used to Reinstall the Windows 8.1 x64 bit Operating System Back to The Original Dell Factory Setup.

So I Don't Know If this Makes any Difference or not.

But Your Report of this Trouble Indicated to me that Your Reading of the SATA Disk Info May Be Incorrect. As The Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology only reports what is connected to each port number, starting With port-0 Which should be the bootable HDD, then each of the other ports are

displayed, if they are connected to an HDD, and if you click on the advance button on the left side of the screen it displayed more advance information, also the last item displayed will be your CD/DVD removable media drive, and on the left side will be displayed it port number that its connected to.

Now if you go and display the system information scree by Typing into the Stare button Search Box "System Information" then pressing the Enter Key, Will display the System Information scree, the click on Components Box will display Options of Drives And/or Disks, and by clicking on these will Display the information about your Disk Listed By Disk # and Partition # on each Disk #, and under the Drive tab you will see each Drive Letter that is assigned to each drive. But Even if you go to Computer Scree by clicking on "start" button, then on computer, which will display your computer scree where your Hard Disk Drives will be Listed on the Right Side of the screen they will be listed by your Drive Letter Assigned to each and volume Label assigned if any. Not  the SATA #. So I Don't see where you are getting the SATA # from. Could this just be the Volume Label you Assigned to the Drive  While Setting it up?

I Hope this helps you. talker1937.

No Events found!