Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

February 14th, 2010 09:00

New Zino HD 400 locks up randomly

This is a real tricky problem, because it happens at random times of day and night, often (almost always) when I am not using it and when nothing is happening on the computer.  I have it set up as a media center, plugged in only to my TV.  I generally access the computer remotely via logmein, but I do have a mouse and keyboard plugged in as well.

What happens is the computer simply goes to black - there is no error or warning, the one time it happened while I was using it, the TV simply went to blue screen as if nothing was plugged into it.  I have gone through a few troubleshooting steps, but nothing has made any difference.  The only interesting thing in the Event Viewer was that the VSS failing always seemed to be the last event logged, so I tried disabling that service and the problem continued.  I have installed all the newest drivers, though they were already all up to date (the computer is only a month old).  When the computer is locked, the power button remains lit but no peripherals indicate that the computer is on.  The optical mouse is not lit.  Interestingly, holding down the power button for 5 or 10 seconds does not cause the computer to shut off - the only way to reboot is to pull the power plug and then hit the power to turn it back on.

Oh by the way, I'm a computer technician by trade - I run my own computer support company so I help people fix problems like these every day.  My level of technical skill is expert, though my level of patience when my own equipment malfunctions is low.  I like getting paid to fix computers, I don't like having to fix my own, you know :)

Basically, the computer is shutting off completely untouched while nothing is happening!  No open programs, no obvious indication of overheating (fan noise).  When it happens the computer cannot be accessed directly on the TV, nor via logmein, nor over the network via its SMB shares.  So it's really truly locked up, not just not displaying or not connecting to the network.

This is a real problem!  Anyone have any suggestions?

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 13:00

I have quite a similar problem and my Zino HD is only 6 Days in use!

without any warning it shuts down!

somtimes it is running several hours, surving the I-Net, playing a Movie, copying files to/from USB Devices

the next time it is shutting down after less than 1 minute using the I-Net Explorer or Firefox.

The Problem cannot be linked to a specific application, somtimes the Zino is quite warm when I touch, but sometimes not (so it is not looking like a heat caused shutdown)

trying to search the Problem just some Minutes Ago it was shutting down already when the diagnostics (alternative Boot Option) were just running. So its quite clear that it is no Windows caused Problem... there is also no Code in the System Log exept the warning that the power was shut off without shutting down windows properly.

I'm getting quite mad about it !!!:emotion-12:

and with this Problem it seems like no good Idea to me to update the BIOS... Who can say what happens when the Power shuts down during the Update?

I have to try to call the service ... but I do not want to hear advices like, "update your Windows!" :emotion-39:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 14:00

Bum power supply ??

Ron

10 Posts

February 22nd, 2010 15:00

Bum power supply ??

Rom

Sorry, I don't get what You want to say... :emotion-42:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 22nd, 2010 16:00

I'm saying that it may be a defective power supply. Since the system is under warranty, contact Dell Tech Support for repairs or replacement of the system.

Ron

February 23rd, 2010 06:00

I'm going to try a few more things, because I don't want to have to send it back and wait another 45 days for a new one to arrive.  Changing the RAM is job 1.

February 24th, 2010 20:00

I'm out!  Got a RMA and they will be shipping me out a new box.  Hopefully it doesn't take 45 days!  My time is too valuable to be spending it fixing my own hardware at night after I get home from a day of fixing others' hardware!

10 Posts

February 25th, 2010 12:00

OK, now I understand...

... and already did what You recommend.

It was picked up yesterday and I have to what up to 2 weeks for fixing.. they said :emotion-20:

At least I managed to transfer all new Data back to my old System (a 7 years old Dimension 4550) where the older Data was still present.

Sometimes Its good not to throw away the old things :emotion-5:

I will wait and see how long it takes...

P.S.

sorry, I'm no native english speaker :emotion-10:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 25th, 2010 13:00

Glad to hear that you're getting the system replaced or repaired. I'm still betting it's a bad power supply.

fhuesemann - No apologies needed. I guessed you probably speak German because you capitalize the nouns (Data, System, etc.)

Hope this is the end of the problems and you enjoy the Zino for a long time.

Ron

February 28th, 2010 12:00

HI,

I have the same problem than fhuesemann Could you tell me what I can do ?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

February 28th, 2010 17:00

zinohdphilippe - I presume your system is under warranty , so contact Dell Tech Support for assistance.

Ron

10 Posts

March 9th, 2010 06:00

Hello,

my update for this case so far:

The Zino was picked up for fixing and I got it back on Friday the 5th. I was quite busy the Weekend so I tryed to get it running on Sunday.

Tha analysis was a damaged Mainboard and so it was changed.

After some updates were installed and I looked for some E-Mails it seemed to keep running. But after a while being occupied by something else I had to see, that it had shut down again. -> so I think the Mainboard was not the problem...

Now I tried to save the rest of my personal Data and just during this transfer it shuts down again...

So I called the service again and I am now waiting for the pick up so that they can try to fix it one more time. :emotion-39:

And additional to this the whole Zino was scrached during the transports. the former beautifull glance black surface is now looking like an 20 Year old car :emotion-41:

So wait and see .... again :emotion-6:

March 26th, 2010 05:00

I have the same problem. If I leave the unit on for about 12-24 hours it will lockup. I too have lots of computer knowledge (25 years+) and do not want to spend my personal time fixing something that should just work. I want it as a MCE machine so it must be able to be on 24/7. I am not happy. I do not want to send it away at present as there must be a software/firmware/bios problem here as many people are getting this problem.

My symptoms are:

1.         Power light on

2.         No response from keyboard/mouse

3.         No screen display

All I can then do is hold the power button down to shut it down and then reboot.

10 Posts

April 11th, 2010 16:00

So the odyssey is going on...

After the Zino was away for the second time it come back with

- more things replaced (Motherboard, CPU and Cover)

- new Scraches on the new Cover

- a new error occuring before the old one could happen again ....

After turning it on it stopped with the Message "video fan error". This is quite amusing because i thought it has no video fan :emotion-43:

So I called the service again... Now after the second unsuccessfull try to fix they had a lot of questions...

... and I had one major question: "Why they do not try out the PC before returning?"

And the second question of me: "why did they not change the transportation package and instead let it get scrached/damaged again?"

We now have the Middle of April. That means that I have the Zino since 2 Months (well it was deliverd 2 Months ago), but I can count the Days I had it in use on one hand :emotion-12: )

Now it is picked up for service the third time

I reallly wonder what happens next ...

10 Posts

April 12th, 2010 10:00

HI,

I have the same problem than fhuesemann Could you tell me what I can do ?

... and? how far are You until now?

2 Posts

June 17th, 2010 07:00

I've been experiencing problems with my Zino HD. It's a base unit with an upgraded processor. More details are here

No Events found!