Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 18th, 2009 09:00

New hard drive into a Dim3000, size recognized as 6000mb instead of 160gb

WinXp home

Western Digital HD (recognized properly on a seperate CPU)

Old hard drive was only 40g, needed an upgrade

Went to install WinXp (with a WinXpHome CD, want to keep my old data on old HD as a second source), and it brought me to the partitioning section, and showed my new HD as 6000mb. After a restart, it dropped to 5786 MB, rinse and repeat with same results (tried WinXpPro also).

Am I missing something?

6.4K Posts

February 18th, 2009 14:00

One inexpensive thing you can try is to replace the NVRAM back-up cell.  The 3000 is old enough now for that cell to have low voltage, which can do a number of odd things.  Removing the cell for a few minutes will also reset the BIOS to defaults and force the computer to re-detect all its devices.  Perhaps that will allow it to find the right size for the new drive.

13 Posts

February 20th, 2009 04:00

Thanks Shack!

Yes the battery was weak, replaced it and everything works as it should. Thanks a ton for pointing me in that direction first. Right on the mark.

6.4K Posts

Apologies if I'm covering anything you already know, but I can't see what you're doing from here.

How are you arriving at the partitioning section?  Have you booted from the Windows installation disk, and this information is presented by Windows setup?  Is your old 40 GB drive disconnected from the system while you are doing this?  The reason for that question is that I would like to be certain you are booting from the installation disk, and not inadvertently booting from your original hard drive.

If you go to the BIOS setup page (F2 during the POST screen after restarting the computer), what size does it report for the hard drive?  If the BIOS reports the correct size, perhaps there is a problem with your installation procedure.  If BIOS agrees with the report from your partitioning section, there is likely a problem with the drive.

13 Posts

BIOS also reports drive as 6000MB (approx, it changes each start up, not sure why).

Old 40Gig HD is not connected atm. I plan on just swapping over some files later, after I get the first drive working, but as I am installing, no...just the 160 (New) Gig HD is connected (IDE).

When I connected the (New) 160 GB drive to anothr computer and try to install, it does so, without said problem.

I was able to install WinXP Home onto the (New) 160 GB HD by connecting it to a different CPU. I then took the (New) 160 GB HD and connected it to the Dim3000, and it again stated in BIOs a HD of 6000MB capacity, and also will not Boot to windows.

Now if I put the (Old) 40GB HD into the Dim3000, windows boots up, Bios recognizes the HD capacity as 40GB....but there is an issue with the internet connection. I can't get it to work properly. When I open a browser, it says the connection was interupted. Is my Dim3000 slowly dieing?  =)

13 Posts

February 18th, 2009 16:00

Nice call, didn't think of that. Thanks I'll do that in morning.

No Events found!