Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 17th, 2009 06:00

New hdd for XPS

I just bought an XPS Dimension 200 without a HDD on eBay. I plan to install a new HDD and clone the complete HDD from my 6000 laptop to the XPS.

First of all how do I determine if this XPS has been stolen?

Secondly, is there any need to download drivers etc to the Desktop if I am cloning from the laptop?

Thanks

14.4K Posts

March 17th, 2009 06:00

first edit your post to remove your sevice tag number as that is violation of the TOS and will get your post deleted.

You cannot clone your 6000 driver and expect it to work in the 200. The reason is the hardware differences. IF you want to use the 200 you will need to buy a new drive and install windows on that drive. plus a new copy of the OS.

4.6K Posts

March 17th, 2009 15:00

...how do I determine if this XPS has been stolen?

I don't know how to find out, unfortunately?

But it's a bit late thinking of that after you've paid for it, because if it has been stolen, you're highly unlikely to get their personal information from the seller... assuming they haven't already disappeared off Ebay :emotion-3:

You *may* be able to do something about it with Ebay's help, but 'Caveat Emptor' springs immediately to mind :emotion-55:

What number of feedback did the seller have?

22 Posts

March 18th, 2009 14:00

If it was stolen dBay would be happy to refund my money.

I sent an Email to Dell shortly after reviewing your post yesterday and they claim it is not stolen and even let me register it.

Thanks for your help.

No Events found!