Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 3rd, 2011 09:00

No LTP & COM ports

My hard drive went bad on my Deminsion 5110 desktop. I reinstalled the operating system and all the drivers from the Dell web site, but now I have no LPT or COM ports in my device manager. How do I add these back in?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 10:00

You will have to install the Chipset drivers first.

2 Posts

I've tried installing the Chipset, that did not work....

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

Which Driver? These ports can be disabled in the Bios.

49 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 14:00

My hard drive went bad on my Deminsion 5110 desktop. I reinstalled the operating system and all the drivers from the Dell web site, but now I have no LPT or COM ports in my device manager. How do I add these back in?

you mentioned that you did install the chipset driver.  was that done directly after installing windows xp or did you first install other drivers?  also, do you see any items in device manager with a yellow bang (exclaimation point for you yanks) next to them?  if so, what specifically are they labled?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

mvleck

All the drivers need to be installed in the following order :-

Desktop System Software [if applicable]
Chipset
Video 
Network Interface Card [NIC], aka Ethernet.
Audio
Modem [if required]

Then all other drivers and applications.

Followed by installing the Anti Virus utility, updating the definitions, then all the critical Microsoft updates.

Bev.

49 Posts

chipset driver first, and restarting when prompted, and then the rest of the drivers in whatever order you desire and restarting when promtped.  typically the video is done next so you can see things more easily, then the nic so that you can start downloading updates...  

49 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 15:00

i disagree.  it is totally unecessary unless one is going to use the docking stations available with certian latitude models or dell remote management features available on some optiplex desktops.  wihtout the need for those things it is just bloat.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 15:00

chipset driver first, and restarting when prompted, and then the rest of the drivers in whatever order you desire and restarting when promtped.  typically the video is done next so you can see things more easily, then the nic so that you can start downloading updates...  

chesman

Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling Windows or updating all drivers, it is important that this software be installed first.

See HERE

Bev.

49 Posts

October 3rd, 2011 16:00

Sorry Chesman but Bev is totally correct and if the DSS is not installed first then there will be issues. It has nothing to do with docking stations.  

no appology necessary.  i will tell the thousand or so dell computers that i don't have the dell 'driver' installed on to stop working. :emotion-43:

14.4K Posts

October 3rd, 2011 16:00

Sorry Chesman but Bev is totally correct and if the DSS is not installed first then there will be issues. It has nothing to do with docking stations.  

No Events found!