Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 10th, 2010 19:00

No Sound

I have just purchased a new Dell last month.  There seems to be no sound.  I thought it had sound, but I only received it the day before leaving for vacation, and since I've returned home there has been no sound. 

•  Microsoft Windows 7 Professional
  • 6.1.7600 Build 7600
  • Dell Inspiron 546
  • X64-based PC
  • AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 630 Processor, 2800 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor

I looked in the control panel/sound/manage audio devices.  It says ATI HDMI Output - ATI High Definition Audio Device - Not plugged in.  Now all cords are plugged in from what we can see.  Is this hardware within the computer itself? 

Forgive my lack of computer understanding, and if you'd dummy down your answers for me I'd really appreciate it otherwise I'll never understand you. 

Thanks for your help. 

Barb

January 10th, 2010 20:00

Yes, the speakers are plugged in.  As I was saying, the control panel says that teh ATI HDMI Output is not plugged in, but that does not seem to be referring to the speakers, because the speakers are listed below that and it says they are working.  So what is the ATI HDMI Output?

3.4K Posts

January 10th, 2010 20:00

Hello,

Do you have speakers plugged into the system? :emotion-55:

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 11th, 2010 03:00

In the Sound panel, in the Control Panel, the Playback device needs to be set as your speakers.  If it's set to HDMI, that is the problem.   Also, on some systems if there is a cable plugged into the HDMI jack, the speakers are muted.

January 11th, 2010 20:00

Te speakers are physically plugged into the monitor (and into a power source).  Is that correct?  Or should they somehow be plugged into the tower?  Sorry for the ignorance.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 12th, 2010 03:00

What model Monitor do you have?  Is it ONLY connected to the PC via HDMI?  Do you have a Dell "SoundBar" speaker system that mounts to the monitor?  The soundbar requires a AC power connection (or some will connect to a power jack on the monitor) and also a physical connection to the PC"s Analog GREEN Speaker out jack. 

More on exactly what you have so we can help you.

No Events found!