Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 24th, 2009 09:00

No audio on 2002 XP Desktop - sound card problem?

I have a Dell desktop, vintage 2002, running Windows XP. About a week ago, suddenly, no sound. I checked all the speakers and connections - everything appears to be OK. Therefore, the problem may lie with the sound card.  Questions:

(1) How can I tell if the sound card is working OK? Is there some software (preferably free) that I can run that can check the card?

(2) How can I tell what card (make, model, etc.) I possess? I have no idea where my original paperwork is for this machine.

(3) Given the above, if the sound card driver is the problem, how do I determine this and/or get the latest driver?

All help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks - Ted 

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 24th, 2009 10:00

What model PC?  Such as "Dimension 8200", etc. 

You can tell if you have a separate sound card or the Integrated (on the motherboard) audio by where you plug in your speaker to the GREEN speaker jack.  If it's in the motherboard I/O then it's Integrated.  If it's a separate sound card it will be in the PCI expansion area (same area as the dial-up modem). 

By knowing what the model number is, we may be able to figure out what sound card you have, if it's a separate card by accessing the Dell downloads for that model.

A couple of general things to check.  (1) Check the Volume Control panel and make sure nothing is muted and that the volume control sliders are not in the down (off) position.  Go to the Device Manager (hold the windows key down and press the Pause/Break key) and display the sound card.  That will give it's status and should tell you what sound card you have. 

4 Posts

September 24th, 2009 11:00

Yes - it's a Dimension 8200.

I'm not that familiar with the back of the computer. The speaker plug is green, and it's plugged into a green jack on the back (one of five colored jacks).

The volume controls are all set correctly - nothing is muted.

Question - how do I find the sound card using Device Manager? I pulled up a lot of items, then opened Sound, Video, and Game controllers, and got  a list of eight items - I am not sure which of these is the sound card - or am I looking in the wrong place altogether.

Hope some of this helps!

Ted

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 24th, 2009 13:00

Physically where do you plug into the speaker jack?  Is it where the other Motherboard connections are, or is is lower in the PC in the same area as the Dial Up Modem.

According to the Dell downloads, there is a possibility of 3 differen sound cards.  (1) Analog Devices for the Integrated (on the motherboard) audio.  (2) a Creative SoundBlaster Live separate sound card or (3) a Turtle Beach separate sound card. 

Download the free Belarc Advisor, www.belarc.com and run it.  This will profile your system and list the hardware and software.

One other thing you can try is to use the System Restore function and restore the PC back to when it did work, since this is a recent occurance.  System Restore will not delete any user data or e-mails.  System Restore can be accessed from Start/Programs/Accessories/System Tools.  Select a restore date when it did work.

4 Posts

September 24th, 2009 22:00

It is near the bottom of the PC (again, one of 5 colored jacks). I have no clue where the dial-up modem is, since I never have used dial-up with this computer.

I ran Belarc - under what category is the sound card? The word 'sound' does not appear on the profile. However, the following did appear under Multimedia:

Creative SB Live! Value (WDM)
Creative SBLive! Gameport
Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device

I am assuming that SB stands for SoundBlaster. If this is true, how do I test the above card(s) to make sure they are OK?

Again, all help is appreciated. I want to pursue this angle before I start fooling with System Restore.

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 25th, 2009 04:00

Since you have a separate sound card, it is a SoundBlaster, one thing you can do before the System Restore (there is no testing that will help you), Reseat the card. 

Reseat - with the PC powered off, remove the speaker connection then open the case and remove the SoundBlaster sound card.  Then reinstall the card making sure it's fully and correctly seated.  Reconnect the speaker connection, close the case and power on the PC.  Because of the reseating, when Windows starts it MAY "find new hardware" and reinstall the SoundBlaster - this is OK either way if it does or doesn't.

4 Posts

September 25th, 2009 12:00

I haven't opened the case in several years - anything I should NOT do? Also, will the card say SoundBlaster on it? If not, how do I know I', reseating the correct card?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 25th, 2009 13:00

You will know the correct card, it's the one that your Speaker cable is plugged into.  Also, only handle the card by the edges, do not touch any of the components or the printed circuit side. 

Since it hasn't been opened for a long time, it wouild be a good idea to blow any dust out of the PC.  But, be careful as there are static sensitive components on the motherboard and on the cards, such as the SoundBlaster card.

HERE

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

is the Dell manual on how to "install" cards.  By reseating, you are removing and reinstalling so that is "installing".

No Events found!