Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2008 19:00

No sound..??

I dont have a clue what is up.. I get no audio at all.  I have been trhough the trouble shooter..  cant seem to find the issue at all..  I am now at a loss.  Dont know where to go from here. proably something simple and I am making it hard.. but.. any suggestions?

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

December 16th, 2008 19:00

That's not much to go on, unfortunately - the troubleshooter isn't always particularly helpful.  Could be your speakers/headphones (try both the front and rear jacks), a settings problem, a driver problem, an operating system problem, or dead sound hardware.

For starters, what PC model and operating system?  Did this just happen recently, perhaps with an update?  If so, a Windows system restore is a reasonable first step.

55 Posts

December 22nd, 2008 21:00

I have a Dell Dimension 520E running Windows XP Media Edition.  I just had some work done on it..  audio wasnt one of the problems.. that was working.  But video card was out and replaced and had some Trojans/Viruses removed.  Now.. no audio.. 

The tech I went to for work isnt available right now due to a death in family.  His assistant cant figure it out.  Some of his stuff is showing driver mssing but then it wont install once downloaded.  gets a error message code 31 if I remember correctly..  So still no audio!

HELP

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

December 26th, 2008 14:00

Uggh.   I was hoping it was something more straightforward than that.   The malware removal part kind of makes me wonder if a system file or part of the registry didn't get damaged, unless he actually did a clean install, in which case that's a whole other can of worms.

But a couple things you can check to at least get somewhat in the right direction:

1) Exactly what audio hardware do you have?  The E520 drivers page  here  lists the 520 as having either a Soundblaster XiFi card  (in a PCI slot) or Sigmatel audio (standard and integrated into the motherboard).  Just wondering if maybe the wrong drivers are being tried - with either one should use drivers from Dell, not from somewhere else.

Also, in device manager, is the sound (either Sigmatel or Soundblaster XiFi actually detected in device manager under sounds, but just isn't started, or is there an error there too?

2) Code 31 (windows can't load drivers) might mean that the Plug and Play isn't working.  To check this, look in Device Manager under System Devices for a listing called Plug and Play Software Device Enumerator.  If it's missing, or has an error, that's the problem; Google found some fixes for it but it's a bit on the geeky side.

No Events found!