Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 14th, 2011 05:00

Northbridge by far to hot

Hi Dell-Community,

the Northbridge on my Motherboard is working despite active cooling at about 80-85 degrees, the processor operates at full load at about 39-40 degrees.

My system:

Dell Studio XPS 435MT
Mainboard: unknown (Everest and SiSandra Lite couldn't identify the board), I guess an Intel-OEM Mainboard
Prozessor: i7920 (CPU-Fan: Scythe Mugen 2 Lüfter instead of the standard-fan)
Case: NZXT Phantom Big Tower instead of the standard-case (5 case-fans and good air-circulation)
Power Supply: BeQuiet Dark Pro 650W instead of the standard-power supply

The North Bridge cooler was previously a Dell passive cooler, which I had carefully replaced by an active one. Thus, the temperature remains constant at least about 82 degrees. So i decided to install the active cooler on the passive one.

The standard passive fan is attached with a steel spring, the active cooler, however, requires two screws. Currently it is held only by a thermal conductive adhesive on the top of the passive cooler, because the Dell-Mainboard doesn't offer the possibility to use screws. In addition, the processor fan overlookthe North Bridge cooler so that the air intake stocks.

Next to the purchase of a new mainboard with standard-fortifications for cooler-screws, is there an another possibility to lower the temperature of the North Brige? And is is there a risk that the North Bridge will be destroyed, if I don't lower the temperature from 80 degrees?

I hope you give me helpful some advice!

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2011 11:00

Hi Thekal,

Your temps are way too high, but I have not seen a lot of complaints on overheating with the XPS 435MT. Is your system still under warranty?

2 Posts

March 19th, 2011 10:00

What are you using to find the temp? I just tried SpeedFan and it said 80C but then i went to Configure > Advanced> and changed the sensor type to Thermistor instead of Diode. Now it reads 60C. I'm not saying this is a fix but it could be that this sensor reading is the accurate one. It seems to be the case for the second sensor also because when that is set to Diode it reaches 120C (so must be inaccurate).

2 Posts

March 19th, 2011 10:00

Hello

I'm also in the same boat. I have the Dell XPS 435MT (i7 920) and have always had cooling issues. My fans used to make soo much noise (sometimes just randomly when the machine was idle) but i changed the case fan to a BeQuiet Silient Wings USC fan last week which has made is much quieter (unless i'm rendering or something, then it's still quite fairly loud.

Since changing the case fan i've been monitoring system temperatures and it seems my northbridge is also steady at around 80C but this still seems far too hot. This could be to do with the changing of the case fan? have you changed yours from standard?

To be honest, the standard fan in this machine was always very loud and not suitable for a home pc (there have been all sorts of complains about it in these forums) but i did take a risk changing the fan from standard.

I wonder if these weird random burts of fan activity i used to have were to do with the cooling of the northbridge - certainly wasn't CPU.

3 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 19:00

Same here: just measured the temp with AIDA64 (formely: Everest) and compared with the reading from Speccy (Priform). Got approx. 40C with AIDA and over 80C with Speccy. What is confusing the most is that in fact North Bridge seems sooo hot. Heatsing itself definitely feels lot hotter than 40C and possibly closer to 80C.

Applied fresh quality thermal paste just yesterday, but with no luck whatsoever.

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 01:00

That's my experience, too. The North Bridge passive-cooler is working closer to 80C even after replacing the thermal paste. I guess in the summer, there will be no option but to change the Mainboard to avoid 100C etc.

Do you use the standard North Brighe passive-cooler? The standard CPU-Fan? Or did you change the Fan to the Scythe Mugen 2, too?

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 04:00

Just double checked the software I was using for my readings on XPS 435MT with XPS 450 (different quad core) and I can confirm that only 435MT gets so hot.

XPS450 seems to be much, much cooler and that applies to both software and organoleptic method of comparing two models :emotion-15:

3 Posts

March 23rd, 2011 04:00

I suppose there's plenty of alternative cooling solutions, however I stick with the factory default for the moment. The problem is that if the temperature gets so high at almost idle state it would be hard if not impossible to bring it down with whatever cooler you might apply. In worst case you'd have to resort to a very small (read: loud) fan on top of your Northbridge whereas it should have been totally unnecessary to have any.

No Events found!