Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2017 03:00

Nothing on Monitor After Replacing Motherboard

I received a like for like motherboard from Dell after I was told a problem I was having was due to a faulty motherboard. To my knowledge I've hooked up everything in the exact same place as my old motherboard.

The green power light is on at the back of the case, the orange light on the MB is on, the fans all seem to be spinning including on the graphics card, the CD drive opens and closes. All I get on the monitor is no signal...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

July 1st, 2017 13:00

I received a like for like motherboard from Dell after I was told a problem I was having was due to a faulty motherboard. To my knowledge I've hooked up everything in the exact same place as my old motherboard.

The green power light is on at the back of the case, the orange light on the MB is on, the fans all seem to be spinning including on the graphics card. All I get on the monitor is no signal...

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Cheers

MPX2345

Please post the computer model and version of windows.

What was the issue with the 'old' motherboard, that made you replace it?

Bev.

13 Posts

July 1st, 2017 17:00

Thanks for the reply.

Windows 8.1

XPS 8700

It's a long story, but I had issues with the computer a couple of months ago where the computer kept crashing unless the graphics card was disabled. Dell replaced my graphics card and it was stable for maybe 6-8 weeks. However then my computer crashed again, and I've had multi colored lines all over the screen. It only worked through safe mode, where the lines were still all over the screen as well. Disabling the graphics card didn't seem to work this time either.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

July 1st, 2017 19:00

Sounds like the initial diagnosis pinpointed the wrong part -- it's more likely a bad power supply than a bad board.

13 Posts

July 1st, 2017 20:00

Interesting. Why wouldn't it even display now though when it worked 2 days ago (albeit in safe mode) before I put in the new board?

13 Posts

It's definitely connected to the add in video port.

I've read that a way around this could be to connect a monitor to the onboard port, but all i have is HDMI and that doesn't work.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

Sure you connected the monitor to the add-in video card and not to one of the onboard video ports? When an add-in video card is installed, the onboard video ports are disabled.

The add-in video card will be in the area marked here with the green box (it's probably in the top-most slot), and not in the area marked with the red X.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 12:00

Does you add-in video card really take up 2 slots at the rear of the PC?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 2nd, 2017 12:00

(a)  You're assuming the new motherboard works. :emotion-5:

(b) Something isn't seated correctly in its slot or some cable isn't (correctly) connected to the motherboard. Eg, if your video card require an extra power cable that's not connected...

BTW: I don't understand "all I have is HDMI and that doesn't work".

13 Posts

July 2nd, 2017 17:00

a) I'm starting to think that's the issue.

b) If you mean the loose cable near the graphics card, that has always been a spare. There is one above as well.

BTW: I mean that with the graphics card not in, there is a HDMI port where you have the red cross in the image above. But with that connected I just get a black screen as well.

It does take up 2. The slots are for different connections, multiple monitors. HDMI, DVI.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 3rd, 2017 09:00

Disconnect the data cable from the hard drive.  Remove any add in cards.  Remove All Ram.

Turn on it should beep.  

Replace 1 ram stick at a time while using onboard video.  It should POST to missing hard drive errors.

Crashing to black screen of death is common on older systems where the OS is corrupted and or hard drive is physically bad.

The MSATA being munged could also be an issue.

Computer Model

XPS 8700
Shipping Date 6/13/2014
Country Australia

338-BEGS 4th Generation Intel(R) Core(T M) i7-4790 processor (8M Cache , up to 4.0 GHz)

400-AADU 2TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive + 32GB mSATA Solid State Drive

429-AAAI Tray Load Blu-ray Drive (Reads Blu Ray and Writes to DVD/CD)

13 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 17:00

I tried that. It didn't work.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 4th, 2017 18:00

And you're certain it's not the monitor?

If you go back to the previous motherboard, will the video card work, if only in Safe Mode?

And in that case, you might actually have a software problem, eg a corrupted video card driver....

13 Posts

July 4th, 2017 20:00

Definitely. I've tried it with three different monitors and currently I have my work laptop hooked up to the main monitor I use which works flawlessly.

It could be the video card. But I'd be surprised. It's supposedly 2 months old (unless they gave me an old one) and I've tried with a different video card and that didn't work either.

I mean, it worked in safe mode before I put in this new board. I haven't gone back to the old board yet. I've been speaking to Dell and they're thinking that it's maybe the board. I'll wait to get an update from them before I go back to the old board.

Cheers

13 Posts

July 5th, 2017 02:00

I'm getting another MB. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

July 5th, 2017 05:00

You have to remove any cards in the slots.

If its not beeping you need to start there.

No Events found!