Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2010 13:00

Oh no! XPS GEN 5 System

Oh no!  Went to start my system (XPS GEN 5 / Windows XP) this morning and nothing!  Well, only a very short blinking AMBER light each time I attempted to start it up. Blinks a couple times then stops till I release and press again.  No previous problems in recent memory, shut down fine the night before.  Checked ALL the obvious things...........power cord, etc.

Power supply possibly? Anybody have any suggestions??

Also......... I looked up the XPS manual and they state 650W and 460W power supply, which is it? Anybody??  Thanks for any assistance  :)

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

August 10th, 2010 14:00

airkahuna64

A blinking amber power switch LED usually indicates a failing power supply.

Are there any 'Beep's, are any of the Diagnostic lights on front panel lite?

The XPS G5 Diagnostic Guide and Troubleshooter, is HERE

You need to physically check the power supply, to find out if it's a 650w, or 450w unit.

If you are comfortable working around computers, you could try the following:

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a know working power supply.
Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system, if power supply's fan and the hard drive run, then the PSU should be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Note. The XPS G5 has a Dell proprietary power supply, there are no aftermarket units available.

Bev.

November 28th, 2010 23:00

It's good for reference, Thanks for your analysis!
No Events found!