Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2012 10:00

OptiPlex 580 - quits working and I don't know why

I work a support desk; lot's of Dell 580's.  Had one yesterday that I can't figure out.   (BIOS version A04).  The screen goes black intermittently, and there's no blinking HDD light on the frnt - just a steady green "on" light.  I've reseated the HDD cables, run the bootable Dell Diagnostic 32-bit ISO, checked the BIOS System log, and the Windwos XP System and Application logs - nothing.  It just quits on its own and you ahve to do a hard shut-down.  I can't keep it running.

My supervisor advised me to wipe the disk and try the tests again. Same results.  For kicks I put in a new HDD - same results.  Can't run complete diagnostics as it keeps 'freezing' on me.  I checked the indicator lights in front and find that numbers 1 through 4 light up during the diagnostics, and stay light when it 'freezes'.  No HDD blinking light.

It's still under warranty, but it'd be nice to narrow things down before I call for support.  Any ideas?

63 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 06:00

e.r.a.

The video I tried was VGA and DVI (three different monitors).  I was unable to PING or VNC into the machine once it went 'black'.

I asked about the type of video card that you had as some are known to be particularly problematic.  But that unanswered question does not really matter since you have confirmed that the machine can not be reached remotely with VNC when it is in the black screen state.  If it was an overheated CPU then the image would stay present on the screen, so I do no believe it is an overheated CPU.  If it was a failing video card then you would still be able to remotely control the system.  If it was a failing power supply then the green power light would be off (though the power supply remains suspicious).  You have a mystery on your hands.  Let us know if you ever figure it out.

28 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 06:00

e.r.a.

The video I tried was VGA and DVI (three different monitors).  I was unable to PING or VNC into the machine once it went 'black'.

28 Posts

April 23rd, 2012 07:00

e.r.a.

Sorry to not have answered your question fully. (Not enought coffee yet.)  The video card is a nVidia GeForce 8400 GS PCI-E card.

I just spent some time with Dell Tech Support (was escalated once).  I related all that I have previously posted here.  The tech had me swap out the video card just to touch all the bases; it's been up for about 15 minutes now running the built-in diagnostics (long version) without going to black.  I put in a brand new card - same make and model.  I told them I'd monitor it all day.  If it stays up, that's great - but without knowing WHY it was the video card, I won't have any confidence in this unit.  It'd be great to have some sort of indicator or error code I can point to, but so far .... nothing.

117 Posts

April 24th, 2012 17:00

The reason being is that your video is freezing up and the rest of your hardware passes diagnostics.  The next steps would have been to remove or isolate out any additional peripherals (internal or external) and see if it happens there or try to swap with KG.. which is what you were doing.   My guess, short in the video card locks the system up and you reboot fine.. :)  Glad you got your awnser though

No Events found!