Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

January 19th, 2015 13:00

OptiPlex 9020 VGA port - Need 1920 X 1200 Native Resolution for WFP 2407

My new OptiPlex 9020 VGA output port does not provide the 1920 X 1200 native resolution of the Dell WFP 2407 LCD monitor, which is connected, using VGA port to VGA monitor, even after updating the Display Adapters drivers, the WFP 2407 drivers, and updating the Bios from A07 to A08, from the Dell web site. This lack of 1920 X 1200 native resolution occurs whether I have just one or have triple monitors connected. But forget the triple monitors, to simplify this problem and I do often connect it with just the one WFP 2407 when testing.

When I updated the Display Adapter drivers, some new choices did include the 1920 X 1080 resolution, but still, did not include the 1920 X 1200 native resolution choice needed for the WFP 2407.

I am not discussing the two DisplayPorts (DP), which do provide the 1920 X 1200 native resolution needed for the WFP 2407. Forget the two DP ports and active DP to DVI adapters, to simplify this problem.

Please address this problem as occurring when only one Dell WFP 2407 is connected to the VGA port, because eliminating the triple monitor configuration also eliminates a lot of variables. The triple monitors (two WFP 2407's, with two active adapters DP to DVI and the third WFP 2407, VGA port to VGA), work fine except the third WFP 2407 connected to the VGA port does not have the 1920 X 1200 native resolution choice.The non native resolution on just one monitor is a little bit fuzzy, and hard to read when using an XL spreadsheet spread across all three monitors

To summarize, my OptiPlex 9020's VGA output port does not provide the 1920 X 1200 native resolution needed for my WFP 2407, connected VGA to VGA. How can I get the 1920 X 1200 resolution from my VGA port needed by my WFP 2407.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 19th, 2015 13:00

Control Panel Appearance and Personalization Display Screen Resolution Click the Advanced Settings.

For some reason on mine 59Hz works better than 60Hz but im not using VGA mine is DVI.  If the screen goes black and doesnt come back hit ESC to revert.

January 20th, 2015 08:00

SpeedStep,

Thank you for your interest. I have studied your screen shots and they do help to understand the problem.

My computer does not recognize which specific monitor is connected to the VGA port. The "Screen Resolution" dialogue's "Display" field says either "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" or "Display device on VGA", but never says "Dell 2407WFP", the specific monitor connected to the VGA port.

If I delete the monitor drivers in "Device Manager" and accept the automatic driver installation, I get "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" in the Device Manager and after rebooting, when I right click the desktop, and select "Screen Resolution", the "Display" field shows the same "Generic Non-PnP Monitor".

By contrast, if I delete the monitor drivers in "Device Manage" and manually select the drivers for "Dell 2407WFP" the "Device Manager" will also show "Dell 2407WFP". But, after rebooting and right clicking the desktop and selecting "Screen Resolution" the dialogue's "Display" field will show "Display device on VGA",  but not "Dell 2407WFP", the specific monitor connected to the VGA port.

It appears the computer's VGA port can not recognize which specific monitor is connected to the VGA port. By contrast, either of the computer's two "DisplayPorts" (DP's) does recognize which specific monitor is connected to the "DisplayPorts" (DP), and shows the resolution choices compatible with that monitor.

Why is the specific monitor connected to the VGA port not recognized in the "Screen Resolution" "Display" dialogue, and how can I make the "Screen Resolution" dialogue's "Display" field recognize & show the specific "Dell 2407WFP" monitor and hopefully the 1920 X 1200 recommended native resolution for this specific monitor? The specific monitor connected to the VGA connector should limit the resolution choices shown. For example, if I connected a Dell 1907FPt, I would not expect to see any resolution above 1280 X 1024, because the Dell 1907FPt will not work with higher resolutions.

Even when I check the "Adapter" tab box for "List All Modes", I do not see the 1920 X 1200 native resolution, but the highest shown is only 1920 X 1080, True Color (32bit), 60 Hertz.

Does anyone have another OptiPlex 9020 which does recognize any specific monitor connected to the VGA port? Also, does any one have an OptiPlex 9020 whose VGA port provides or shows a resolution of 1920 X 1200?

Should I accept this as a system limitation or keep searching for a solution? I tried the above tests with four different identical "Dell 2407WFP" monitors.

Thanks for helping.

January 20th, 2015 10:00

I should have described my system.

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit

Dell Mini Tower Optiplex 9020

RAM 32 GB

Processors i7-4770 Quad Core CPU @ 3.40GHz

Integrated graphics - Intel HD Graphicss 4600

960 GB SATA III Solid State Drive

2 DisplayPorts (DP)

1 VGA port

March 4th, 2015 11:00

Dell tech support replaced the motherboard and still no joy, the WFP2407 attached to the VGA port still did not have the 1920X1200 Native resolution of the WFP2407. Dell tech support now says this is a non-supported configuration for their motherboard, even though Intel says their i7-4770 and HD4600 GPU chips on the same motherboard supports it.

What worked was to remove a dual monitor PCIe Radeon X1300/X1550 video card from my older OptiPlex755 and put it in my new OptiPlex 9020. Everything works now and I now have not just 3 but 4 Dell WFP2407 LCD's connected, & all at their native resolution of 1920X1200. Two are connected to DisplayPorts (DP) with "active adapters" (not passive) and the other two are connected to the PCIe Radeon card. I just do not use the VGA port. Now I can accomplish my original objective of spreading an XL spreadsheet across not just 3 but 4 WFP LCD's and all have the same native resolution.

No Events found!