Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 23rd, 2013 05:00

OptiPlex GX110 Win XP Professional SP3 Display resolution sticks at 800 x 600

I have been wrestling with this on and off for months. Lots of advice but not much progress. Intel tells me that XP  uniquely has an ability to suppress any higher resolution selection of which I am only too aware. I have tried various drivers without any joy. I have also loaded nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 PCI with XP driver as an altenative but it will not play.

What is odd is that if I try to fire up the 5500, it loads Windows but does not display anything after the Logo comes on. If I then switch the monitor to the on-board controller I can now select the higher resolutions that I require to get a proper wide screen display (19" BenQ). The screen suggests that I use 1366 X 768 but the 82810E cannot cope with that, 1024 x 768 is not too, bad.

Questions seem to be 1. Does the Phoenix BIOS Ver 5 not support a PCI Video card? 2. How come that the Windows XP Pro can not allow resolution selection higher the 800 x 600 when the 82810E Controller is in use and be OK when the 5500 can?

118 Posts

October 23rd, 2013 06:00

Hi Colintivy,

Please load the BIOS defaults. Here are the steps:

• Press during POST to enter System setup.
  • Once you enter the setup, hit F9 to load the defaults.
  • After loading the defaults please press F10 to save the settings and exit.

Please share the exact model of the monitor.

It could be an issue with the PCI card as well, but before we conclude that please reseat the PCI card. Clean the slot, reinstall the card and check for functionality. You may refer to the link http://bit.ly/1bVWLhO to access the user manual of the system.

Hope this helps!

Keep me posted. I’ll be glad to assist.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 23rd, 2013 12:00

The GX110 does not disable the onboard when you have a PCI video card.

If you use 2 monitors and XP SP2 along with the Directx 9 patch and NVidia driver you can adjust it and disable the onboard making the pci video default.

The 56.72 NVIDIA drivers are the correct ones for a Geforce FX 5500 after installing the Directx June 2010 patch.

You make a folder called directx and extract the files to it then run the DXSETUP.EXE file.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.72.html

20 Posts

October 24th, 2013 04:00

Thanks SpeedStep,

That all looks useful.

I am not proposing to use two montors but am aware that resolution adjustment of them is possible, even differentially if required. Where would you connect the second monitor to the main chassis?There appears to be only one video outlet.

I will seek the nVIDA drivers and Directx patch as you specify and see how I get on.

See my remark to Dell-Garima G above about the resolution capping by XP.

20 Posts

October 24th, 2013 04:00

Hi Garima G

Thanks for quick reply.

I have been using the Dell for a long time but I assume that the BIOS is as it should be, but i will give it a reset as you suggest.

The BenQ monitor is a GL950-TA ID Model GL955A 18.5" (I thought it was a 19" but was wrong!). This has a native resolution of 1360 x 768 but I found that 1024 x 768 was fairly satisfactory with only a small amount of stretching of the image and is supported by the 82810E  on-board controller. but

I am still confused about the fact that running the machine from the on-board controller, the option to adjust the resolution is capped at 800 x 600, as forecast by Intel; but is available when XP is loaded by the nVIDIA card (although there is no display of it) except via the on-board controlle output!

20 Posts

October 26th, 2013 08:00

Further to the last post, My remark re two monitors was too brief, I guess that it should have said "apart from an extra video card" which is obvious.

I have put the Directx in and it seems to be OK. I followed it with the NVIDIA driver you recommended which, after a false start or two, told me that it was installed. But looking at the Hardware Information lstingit still shows the driver to the FX5500 is "nv4_mini.sys" dated 10 June 2007 which it was before. As far as the whole system is concerned, I am no further forward. Any other ideas out there?

118 Posts

October 29th, 2013 05:00

Hi Colintivy,

It seems to be an issue with the Nvidia card. I would suggest you to check the card with any other system and check for functionality.

If in case the issue persists on the other system as well, you might need to replace the card with a new one.

Keep me posted with the results.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 30th, 2013 17:00

There are versions of FX5500 and FX5200 which are not compatible with Penitum 3 and Pentium 4 systems due to needing PCI 2.2 or PCI 2.3 cards.

PCI 2.2 and up have 2 keyways in the slot indicating that they work 3.3v or 5v PCI.  Just because it fits in the slot does not mean that its working correctly.

20 Posts

November 1st, 2013 06:00

Thanks Speedstep,

That adds another imponderable, I know that the Dell machine has a Pentium processor, probably a III at 730MHz (can't find the spec right now!). If this problem is not likely to be overcome, we will have to continue to try to overcome the lack of resolution selection presently in existance using the on-board controller. It is strange that the control function is lurking "under the hood" and is available when XP is loaded by the GeForce card despite not being able to see it.

Life can be less that dull sometimes.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 1st, 2013 09:00

The issue is not with the PENTIUM 3 GX110 its to do with OLD PCI vs Universal PCI.

20 Posts

November 1st, 2013 10:00

I see what you mean. The PCI sockets have only one slot, therefore they are either 3.3V or 5V depending upon how you look at them. The GeForce 5500 has both slots as you say. Presumably I can rule out the card as an alternative way of getting over the problem? Quite a pity!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 4th, 2013 06:00

GX110's are limited to 512 megs of ram.  This is a chipset issue.  You can find GX620 Towers that use DDR2 and can support Pentium D processors with Bios A11.

Once you have 4 gigs of ram and a Pentium D you can install XP/VISTA/7/8/8.1 Just fine.

I can get these towers locally for $99

They are also available on EBAY and Amazon.  Some come pre installed with Windows 7 a $109 value for Home and $149 value for PRO.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B004VFJRLI/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=all

20 Posts

November 6th, 2013 07:00

Hi SpeedStep,

I am loath to scrap my GX110 just yet because I value its construction standad (like a tank) and it would seem that just getting rid of the resolution cap imposed by XP, which Intel say that it ought to be removable, but Dell or Microsoft seem to have made it inviisible, somehow ought to be resolved. So far trying various drivers for the on-board controller (Intel 82810E) have not achieved anything, which is why I have tried the nVIDIA Controller.and found that it may be of no use anyway.

At present I have adopter the drill of using the FX5500 to boot up the system initially and, ignoring the frozen Windows logo, letting Windows fully instal. Then transferring the monitor cable to the on-board VGA outlet. there I get the display fairly satisfactorily at 1024 x 768 (which I set up earlier) with only slight horizontal stretching but no loss of display. All that is missing is the ability to obtain this resolution directly becaue it is patently supported by the controller. and the monitor.  How XP can be booted up with the ability to select a normal range of resolutions one way and not in the other should be able to be sorted I think.  Intel admits that the original 800 x 600 was in place but that a tick box was provided to remove the cap.On my system it is not and I would have thought that there must be some way to reinsert it.

No Events found!