Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 31st, 2017 06:00

Optiplex 7020 not powering ON

Hi,

I have an Optiplex 7020 that is not powering ON.

When I press and release the power button, I don't see any light in the power button as well as the diagnostic indicators.

When I press and hold the power button, amber light flashes continuously in the power button with a faint sound (I am not able to decide whether it is a clicking sound or beeps). There is no pattern in the light as well as the sound. They just go on flashing continuously (two counts per second). The light and sound stop when I release the power button.

On pressing the BIST test button behind the PSU, all fans spin at their max and stops on release.

I have tried swapping/ moving RAM to different slots but that didn't make any difference.

I couldn't spot any blown capacitors on the motherboard.

I have tried replacing CMOS battery but that didn't make any difference.

I am having a tough time with this and not able to isolate the problem to one part. Please let me know if I am missing something and if you know what could actually be wrong with this PC. Your inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

July 31st, 2017 11:00

Power supply failure?

If it's repeating a 2,2 blink, the manual says:

2,2 = system board, PSU or PSU cabling failure

topics-cdn.dell.com/.../optiplex-7020-desktop_owner's manual_en-us.pdf

If you use a power strip, surge protector or UPS, disconnect those and connect PC directly to the wall outlet. If same results, then check the power cable connection between motherboard and PSU and if that doesn't help, suspect the PSU...

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

July 31st, 2017 16:00

Is it possible to "jump or bypass" the power switch or on/off switch? Would that help to eliminate 1 step. Does the voltage go from the switch to the 20/24 pin connector on the mobo? Just a thought.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 1st, 2017 13:00

Not sure what "1 step" you mean..??

You can try jumping the connector that goes from the PSU to the motherboard, green to black, with a paperclip and then power on. Fans and HDD should spin up. If not, likely PSU issue...

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 6th, 2017 16:00

Flashing Amber power button = bad power supply.

No Events found!