Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

January 21st, 2014 11:00

Optiplex 760 Video Card Upgrade Issues

I have an Optiplex 760 that currently works fine with the onboard vga. I tried to install 2 different video cards and with either of them it won't boot and gives lights 1 2 3 on green and power button was also green I believe. The cards are as follows.

EVGA 512-P3-1301-KR GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 32-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

XFX One ON-XFX1-PLS2 Radeon HD 5450 1GB 64-Bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

Neither will boot. If I pull them out and use the onboard vga it's boots just fine. Any ideas or suggestions? Is it because it really does not support 2.0 or 2.1? I just need a cheap card as I am only running basic office/internet items but need dual monitor support.

Thanks

John

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

January 21st, 2014 13:00

You are really better off using the onboard graphics. The Optiplex has a very low powered power supply unit below 300w --most have 235w-- and the cards need at least Minimum of a 350 Watt power supply.

January 21st, 2014 14:00

I can't just use the onboard as I need a dual monitor setup for the customer I am setting this up for and it only has 1 vga port. The cards I tested do not have the extra power plug on them so they are just powered by the MB. Would it still need that big of a power supply?

Thanks

John

1 Message

June 2nd, 2014 10:00

I know that you have probably given up by now (months later), but I wanted to share what I learned hoping that it might help someone. . . I had the same problem with the same equipment. I contacted my Dell rep to purchase some video cards so that I could upgrade some of my users so that they could use 2 monitors. My rep sold me several of the GeForce 8400 cards same as you have. However this card did not seem to work. . . After adding this card and booting the computer up it would never show anything on the screen. I plugged in one of the monitors to the onboard VGA port only to find that the computer was having issues with the video card. "ATTENTION! UNSUPPORTED CONFIGURATION! SYSTEM HALTED!" I tried another video card hoping that the issue was with a defective card, and not the computer; since I work for a not-for-profit company and my budget is non-existent, and I purchase off-lease equipment from a re-seller. Then I tried a different card all together yet again having the same issue. I searched the web and found that you had the same issue "unanswered." After double checking on the Dell web site on what the recommended upgrades for the OptiPlex 760 were I found that this card is listed on their "recommended upgrades." I contacted my Dell rep who then put me on 3-way with Technical support. What we found is that some if the Dell OptiPlex 760 motherboards just will not support this video card. My equipment isn't under warranty any longer so I have had to move some computers around to accommodate my end users. Well I hope that this helps someone. . .

1 Message

July 27th, 2014 03:00

Hello MovieMystro,

I believe "ATTENTION! UNSUPPORTED CONFIGURATION! SYSTEM HALTED!" is the message that pops up when a discrete (add-in) video card is installed, but your display is plugged into the onboard port.

Anyway. Not entirely sure what's going on - I just tested both a Geforce 8400GS (different model) and XFX Radeon 5450 / One in the 760 on my table. I've also seen countless 760 machines running discrete cards.

I'd suggest poking around in your BIOS - particularly in the video category?

No Events found!