Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 21st, 2009 08:00

Optiplex 760 problems

Purchased 8 Optiplex 760 and two are having problems.  The first had intermittent BSD while the other has intermittent solid blue screen on shut down.  In searching the web there are reports of intermittent rebooting problems and power supply problems.  Has anyone experienced problems with the 760? 

14 Posts

March 11th, 2013 14:00

I just got back from replacing the power supply in the 760 I got a call about. 7 bad so far out of the 55 in the batch. Thanks Dell...

2 Posts

August 27th, 2009 06:00

I currently have a 760 that will randomly reboot after displaying a mesage "auto-detect analog input".  I replaced the vga cables with dvi and secured all the connections yet still have the issue.

2 Posts

September 3rd, 2009 06:00

We have bought hundreds of Optiplex 760's. Now our latest batch does not seam to have the same display driver. After It is imaged, it just keeps rebooting. I have booted in safe mode, deleted the display driver, and installed the correct one. This works fine, I can reboot in normal mode, but as soon as I change a display setting, the computer restarts again. I have turned off the "restart when system failure option (BSOD). Also, there is an unknown PCI device that I can not figure out. I have tried everything I can think of.. even chatting with an dell tech who had no idea what to do except run diags and stuff. Does anyone have this issue I am thinking that the display driver is the problem.

September 10th, 2009 07:00

I have had this same blue screen at shutdown problem with the last 6 Optilex 760's that I have purchased.  Sometimes a BIOS update fixes the problem.  I still have 3 with this issue.  Dell support has not been helpful at all. 

1 Message

September 25th, 2009 10:00

We purchased two of these units. One has a very noisy fan that never goes off and the other is now spontaneously rebooting as well. Any luck from anyone on an answer? I'm betting the Power Supply is the culprit.

2 Posts

September 25th, 2009 12:00

After trying everything we could think of software related, we determined that it is a hardware issue. The helpdesk staff told me that they are seeing hardware related problems in about 1 out of 10 Dell 760 PC's. We have placed a service call with Dell.

3 Posts

September 30th, 2009 14:00

Whats weird about our 760 reboot problem is that it always happens at 56 past the hour

11 Posts

October 20th, 2009 09:00

This issue is directly related to the Storage controller. We updated the drivers on our 100+ workstations and voila!

Here is the web addres and name of the storage driver upgrade.

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProductID=2101&DwnldID=17882&lang=eng

IATA89ENU.exe

Good luck!

2 Posts

October 21st, 2009 12:00

I just spent 1 hour and 45 minutes on the phone with Dell Support.  We ran diagnostics and I received the error mesage 2000-0142 Harddrive 0 self test status 72 0F00:065D.  All other tests passed.  Unfortunately, after 1 hour and 45 minutes, I could no longer remain on the telephone waiting for some type of resolution.  I'm curious if anyone else here has these same results from running diagnostics. 

March 10th, 2010 11:00

Guys,

Turn off AHCI in the bios and set to ATAa nd your image should work fine. After your up and running you should bwe able to enable AHCI

Robert

11 Posts

March 10th, 2010 12:00

The only time your would do this is when you are loading the system up with windows, or imaging, it puts the hard drive controller into a compatibility mode for legacy systems. it has nothing to do with stability once you are in windows. updating the hard drive controller driver fixed the blue screen issue we were having on the 500+ systems in my environment.

March 10th, 2010 15:00

Btw, I opened my mouth too soon. If you have an image made w/o the ahci drivers, I did the following:

- Disable AHCI and set it to ATA

- Install Windows as normal

- Load the Dell Intel Matrix Storage Manager on a floppy, I used a USB floppy, a USB flash was not recognized. The Dell Optiplex 760 driver is located at:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&cs=2684&l=en&s=pub&releaseid=R222843&SystemID=PLX_760&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=16825&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=3&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=0&libid=41&typeid=-1&dateid=-1&formatid=-1&fileid=318148

- Attach your floppy with disk.

- Change your drive back to AHCI in the bios

- Boot your Windows XP CD and press F6 to load additional drivers. When prompted I choose the AHCI/D0.

- Allow the Windows install to load as normal, it will detect the current install. Select the "R"epair option and allow it to finish.

- Reboot and be sure and rerun Updates.

- Sysprep and re-image.

This on a Domain Workstation as well of course it was not re-imaged. Saves the pain of creating a new master image.

Robert

<ADMIN NOTE : Service tag removed per privacy policy>

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

I get the blue screen intermittently  when booting up.  It boots through Windows XP Professional to the login screen (Novell) then the blue screen.  I have reimaged the computer, ran diagnostics with no errors, replaced hard drive as per Dell's suggestion, changed the SATA driver from AHCI to ATA and updated the driver as mentioned in dazleyj below.   Has anyone come up with something else? Otherwise, I'll be in contact with Dell again shortly.

3 Posts

April 3rd, 2012 12:00

I've tried updating the driver suggested above and that still does not fix my problem.

3 Posts

April 19th, 2012 13:00

I've found a fix for the above, at least for my agency.  If the computer is having the problem that is mentioned above with AHCI, change the SATA to Legacy.  There may be a slight delay during boot up. If imaging (using Symantec Ghost), the SATA has to be changed to Legacy anyway.  Just leave it Legacy.  There's no delay at boot up.  Good luck!

No Events found!