mandacat
1 Copper

RE: Optiplex 9010 I-5 3470 3.2G CPU - Intermittent Freeze

Hi Carl,

Thanks for the update. That's interesting - could it be something to do with the drivers for the USB 3.0 ports?

Well, wishing you luck that the fix will be permanent.

Since our system is connected to a PS2 KVM switch, I'm using the PS2 ports for the keyboard and mouse. However, based on your find, it may be something to look at.

Because this problem has been so intermittent and difficult to troubleshoot, I'm going to swap it with another system, that's in a less critical application, and see what happens. I still keep thinking that it has something to do with sleep mode, even though sleep & hibernate mode are disabled in the advanced power mgmt. section. Like I mentioned, our issue appears to only happen in times of very high idle percentage.

Will keep you posted.

Bill

0 Kudos
jbollyn
2 Bronze

I have a couple OptiPlex 9010 SFF that have the same problem you describe. After 4 support calls to Dell (BIOS settings changed and 6 parts replaced under warranty), I may have the solution. My systems were running the original USB3 driver (A01 ver 1.0.4.220). I uninstalled this driver, and installed A03 v1.0.6.245 from Dell download. You need to reboot after uninstalling A01, even though there is no system prompt to do so.

I found out by chance, you can probably trigger the freeze by plugging a USB2 flash drive into a USB3 port, and then copy a file from the flash drive to the desktop. The copied file is corrupt, in addition to freezing the system.

Because of the intermittent nature of the problem, it is too soon to declare victory, but I have a good feeling about this.

Since for most users USB is always being used (kb, mouse), a freeze when no flash drive is plugged in does not draw your attention to USB as a possible suspect.

It would be nice if the Dell system engineers shared this potential solution with their tech support people. At no time did tech support mention driver update or USB3 in any way.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
artisticab
1 Copper

I realize this is an old thread.  But I was curious if this random freezing issue was isolated down to a the usb ports indicated in the comments of the previous posts?

I experience the same issues from some of these 9010 machines during working business hours.  When the machines lock up, there are no technical details logged anywhere to error check.  My machines were deployed with the A03 USB drivers, and not the A01's.  I have gone thru and checked the BIOS settings, and made sure my drivers are running the most current version.

Wondering if anyone got resolution on this?

0 Kudos
mandacat
1 Copper

Hi Artistcab,

Because the 9010 was running a very critical service, I had to remove it. I replaced it, in mid December, 2013, with a 9020 which has been working well ever since.

I am no longer in touch with the 9010 system, so I can't tell you whether it is working properly or not. It was running Bios version A16 prior to replacement and had the symptoms I've described in previous threads, regardless of many Bios upgrades and the many hours of troubleshooting.

The 9020 is working well, but there are a few differences in the setup. I am not saying that any of these differences resolved the problem. I only mention them, just in case one of them might have anything to do with it.

The Bios settings (A02) on the 9020 have been modified as follows:

Serial Port; Disabled,   Smart Drive Reporting: Enabled,  Speed Step: Disabled
Turbo Boot: Disabled,   C States Control: Disabled,  Deep Sleep Control: Disabled

The Network ethernet connection on the 9010 was connected directly to a gigabit switch. The 9020 is connected to a gigabit router port (the router is, of course, connected to the switch).

Again, I am not sure that any of the above related to the problem.

Good luck,
Bill

0 Kudos