Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2010 12:00

PCI video card

I have an Optiplex GX 280 minitower. It has a VGA output and I want to connect to a  D-Sub monitor. I am told a PCI express card is best but my slot is suspect. I don't play games, I just want to make the connection. I have 4 PCI slots that I know are good. For my purpose is there a real downside to using a PCI card. Thanks, Mike Taggard 

14.4K Posts

June 25th, 2010 14:00

Why do you suspect your PCIe slot is suspect? If you have not used it most likely it is ok. A Pci card will deliver video although not at the same level as a PCIe card but more then the on board video will.

15 Posts

June 25th, 2010 15:00

Thanks, I installed a card, an Asus EN210, (cheap was the major consideration), in the PCIe slot. When I turned on the machine  the monitor "sort of" worked. It came with a CD and I turned the machine off when I went to look for it.  When I turned it back on it was to a black screen. It may be the card or the slot, The only way I know to check it is to try another card in it. If it's the slot I'll then have two useless cards. I have a 400 watt power supply and that should be enough for the card.  Thanks again,  Mike Taggard 

No Events found!