Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 7th, 2013 10:00

PCIE slot off on Vostro 460 and Vostro 470 after Windows 7 x64 Shutdown

Hi,

we have some problems with our Vostro 460 that loose the NIC sometimes after reboot (http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/network-internet-wireless/f/3324/p/19432098/20035026.aspx)

we decided to buy new Pcie Nic to get rid of this problem but here comes another one.

We bought 2 diffrents nic for testing :

Intel Gigabit CT Desktop Adapter : http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/network-adapters/gigabit-network-adapters/gigabit-ct-desktop-adapter.html

and

Startech 1 Port PCI Express Gigabit : http://ca.startech.com/Networking-IO/Adapter-Cards/1-Port-PCI-Express-Gigabit-Ethernet-NIC-Network-Adapter-Card~ST1000SPEX

if we put those cards in the computer and only plug power in it, both of those Nics work (light on and WOL working).

if we boot in windows 7 (clean install + all up to date drivers) and then make shutdown, all lights goes off and we are unable to make a wake on lan.

If I test those cards in a Vostro 430, everything works correctly (for the Intel one, we need to enabled the PME in advanced configuration).

Tried a lot of configuration in the bios and I can't get it working.

and yes, the 12 vostro 460 with the problem are not under warranty to change the motherboard...

Someone have an idea or have tested this ?

Thanks

Benoit

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 15th, 2014 15:00

Have you disabled the onboard NIC in BIOS setup after you installed the add-in NIC?

Have you tried changing Sleep State settings in BIOS?

Do you have the latest versions of BIOS and of Intel chipsets running on these systems?

January 15th, 2014 15:00

Same issue. Cheap well not cheap as in money but inexpensive built Realtek chirp PCIE x1 card was bought to fix issue. Did not fix. Put card in x1 slot and PC will not boot. Put in x16 slot and PC boots but says ethernet cable not connected and Realtek drivers installed does not see card. So started playing around and found now board NIC works. BUT only with PCIEx1 card plugged into PCIEx16 slot. 

This is the card. You have to go to Realtek to get drivers but site has link.

http://sybausa.com/productInfo.php?iid=1410&currentPage=0

January 17th, 2014 09:00

Almost did not log back in with this stupid astronomical password. YES to all your questions. Would not be here looking if anything else worked. And as I explained how would sleep modes change the way its working now? Adding a  pciex1 card in a pciex16 slot makes it UNsleep? Does not sound right. Person that was using computer just kept rebooting till it finally started working. Also they would run 3 different virus scans to try to make it work.  Board is bad. Customer is not happy at all. Bought for a business under 2 yrs ago. Told her to call Dell and complain. 

Onboard NIC does not work. Bought PCI NIC card but guess what...no PCI slots. Found PCIEx1 card and installed in PCIEx1 slot. PC will not boot. Put PCIEx1 card in PCIEx16 slot PC boots and PC starts asking for Ethernet cable. Plugged cable into PCIE card but PC did not see. Just for grins plugged into onboard nic and now I have connection. During this whole thing I uninstalled PCI host drivers thinking bad something as I need stable connections for this customer. Rebooted PC and installed all drivers needed. Shutdown after driver updates and pulled PCIE NIC card. Booted up... NO MORE ETHERNET CONNECTION. Shutdown and installed PCIEx1 card back in PCIEx16 slot and PC is connected to network no problem on the onboard NIC.  

So now please tell me its the bios sleep setting.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 17th, 2014 15:00

You said you had the same problem as the OP, it won't wake on LAN. So I asked if the sleep settings were wrong because they might be turning off power to the NIC which would prevent wake on LAN.

January 17th, 2014 23:00

Thats not what the "OP" said and not even the post they referenced said anything about 'wake on LAN". My problem is same as "OP" and the post they reference or onboard nic not working AND pcie slot not working.

PCIE slot off on Vostro 460 and Vostro 470 after Windows 7 x64 Shutdown

we have some problems with our Vostro 460 that loose the NIC sometimes after reboot

OH sorry it does mention "WOL" in post but looks like main issue is onboard NIC not working now doesnt it. I found a way to make it work so I shared it. And if you had ideas on how to fix why werent you the second poster instead of me. I see there are several threads in here on same issue. Does the WOL being turned on make onboard nic work? 

February 11th, 2015 07:00

as in the first link I've posted, we always have the problem of the onboard nic that's not working randomly. 

you could remove the power from the computer and put it back on and the onboard nic can works for a week. 

we can not work like this. 

our solution is to put another Nic in the computer in one PCIe slot. this is working correctly when you are in windows. 

but if we do a shutdown with windows, it seems that the power is removed from the pcie slots so the added pcie nic is not working anymore for wake on lan. 

I've posted this to see if this was "by design" because when we shutdown a Vostro 430 with the same nic, the power stay on the pcie slot and the nic is up and respond to wake on lan.

I've tried every configuration possible in the bios.

Benoit

No Events found!