Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 5th, 2016 11:00

PCIe device boot

I have a Dell Precision T5600.

I really need NVMe support so I can boot off my PCIe SSD.  It is my understanding that there isn't any technical issues that prevent this support being made available.

I would fix it myself however "signed firmware update" makes it difficult to upgrade the firmware with the needed efi firmware.

Its more than a little troubling that I own this machine and would like to use it to its full potential, but Dell seems reluctant as far as I can tell to make the UEFI upgrades available.

I would like to be provided a BIOS update that has the features I need, or get the BIOS unlocked so I can flash the update myself, or if there is some other means to accomplish booting an Intel 750 series SSD on a Dell Precision T5600 please direct me to the procedure required.

I followed the suggestions in this good article.  But I wasn't successful.

http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/19/SLN300820/EN

The two issues I encountered were

1. I couldn't get the USB drive to show as a UEFI boot option, only legacy.

2. When I select the PCIe SSD drive as the destination for a Windows install, windows presents an error that it cannot boot from this drive, even thought I've seeded the install with all the drivers Intel provided.

Thanks for any help or further ideas on this.

9 Posts

September 28th, 2016 07:00

Is it possible to replace any of the other module?

The module which is located in the BIOS1.

NVMeExpressDxE.ffs

mmtool does not work in bios 2.

I used a hex editor. Bios1 and Bios2

looks significantly different.

BIOS 2 is encrypted?

But dell T5600 embedded windows os bios t5600e12.bin is difference.

All data bios1+bios2 include in this file.

And the data works well mmtool and show good hexeditor "not encrypted?".

9 Posts

September 28th, 2016 14:00

merge files bios 1 and 2.
mmtool now works. :)
Mmtool attached to the report.

[View:/cfs-file/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/t5600rom1rom2.txt:550:0]

26 Posts

September 28th, 2016 16:00

That is awesome!  This is just a report file from Mmtool, correct?  It's not the BIOS file itself, right?

Were you able to use Mmtool to insert the NVMe module?

Great work!

26 Posts

September 30th, 2016 13:00

Awesome!  That's exciting news!  Can I ship you my T3610?  :)

Seriously though, do you mind outlining the process that you used?  What device did you use to read and write the BIOS chips?

9 Posts

September 30th, 2016 13:00

Now works! :)

1. read both chips. "Bios BIOS 1 and 2," Do not read the OTP memory area!

2. Merge files.

3. Add Nvme Module MMTOOL program.

4. Split files.

5. Write files back.

8 Posts

October 2nd, 2016 17:00

Absolutely!  Please provide the details.  I know it's tedious but I've wanted to be able to boot off this drive very badly.

Agreed, what flasher did you use?  Did yo flash them while still soldered to the mobo, or did you remove them first?  How tough was that?

Anyway awesome work pkjuha I look forward to hearing all about it.

Well done!

9 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 08:00

9 Posts

October 3rd, 2016 08:00

I use smartprog2 Elnec programmer.

Reading memory is not possible without removal. possibly operating voltage drops?

I removed both memories. "Soldering".

I read both memories. and combined into a single file. "Warning! Do not connect the OTP memory area", "OTP The last area is 64 bytes"

-I I used MMTOOL v4.50.0.23

-lisäsin NVMeExpressDxE.ffs

-save

split file -> two files. "Use a hex editor. The original size."

write back memories.

Install Windows 10 normally.

UEFI gpt :)

26 Posts

October 5th, 2016 10:00

Thank you so much for providing the info and screenshots.  Awesome work!

Unfortunately, this is out of my realm of expertise, I've never used a soldering iron before :(

December 22nd, 2016 12:00

It would be really great if there was some way to contact Dell to get the BIOS updated to reflect what Juha has done, I think it's ludicrous that he had to go through all that just to get NVMe to boot, when it would probably take 15-30 mins by Dell technicians. I came from a Precision T5500, a lower model and could boot NVMe on it with TianoCore. Now I have this T5600 and TianoCore will not even load fully so it's essentially useless to me. I've tried others such as Clover as well to no avail.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 30th, 2016 05:00

Dell isn't going to make Hackintosh friendly Bios updates or Open Source Non Secure boot EFI.

Malware ends up in the bios that way.

Clover is EFI-based bootloader for BIOS-based computers created as a replacement to EDK2/Duet bootloader http://www.tianocore.org  .

Please visit http://www.projectosx.com  , https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/discussion/ or open a bug ticket (https://sourceforge.net/p/cloverefiboot/tickets/)

Clover EFI bootloader Web Site

December 30th, 2016 16:00

I've tried Clover, while it loads, it does not detect the drive, the BIOS shows the drive as mass storage just fine.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

January 3rd, 2017 05:00

CLOVER is for Hackintosh.  Dell isn't going to add a feature to bios so that non secure boot OSX runs on UEFI 2.3.1  aka Windows 8 and up BIOS.

1 Message

June 16th, 2017 14:00

I have T5600 with BIOS A15 and I was able to isntall windows 10 to samsung 960 Pro 1 TB but cannot boot from SSD. Any solution?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

June 16th, 2017 17:00

Not for a 4+ year old system no -- you need a 2016 or newer system with UEFI to allow booting NVMe.

No Events found!