Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

October 23rd, 2010 09:00

Please recommend me a new power supply

I currently have a Dell Vostro 430, and I've added an extra hard drive and a Ati 5770 graphics card, and up till now, it's been running fine with that setup.

Nothing has changed in recent weeks, but I'm beginning to get very random system crashes/restarts which result in no error messages, or windows "recovered from error" messages, so I think that my system (350W PSU) does not have enough power to keep my system running smoothly. Plus I play on adding a blu-ray writer in a few months, so that won't help power consumption.

So i've been looking at a few power supplies from retailers like Amazon, Play, Maplin, but I don't actually know the requirements I need, because I'm looking at PSU around the 500-600W area and those I've seen that are really expensive, have more connectors than I need and I hate clutter. However the cheaper ones at the right voltage I need, seem to have fewer connectors than the default PSU I have now. (e.g. 2 SATA connectors instead of the 4 I have currently) or missing a PCI-E connector...

So the question is, can anyone help me find a decently priced PSU which is basically identical in connector set to the PSU I already have, but with higher wattage (around 500W upwards.)

Thanks.
-------------------------------------- 

The current PSU supplied when I purchased the desktop has the perfect amount of connectors, and doesn't clutter the inside of the computer. Here are the specs I believe are correct.

Power 350 watts 230 volts (for uk)

1x 24 pin power connector

1x P4 4-Pin 12V Connector

4x Sata Connectors

1x 6pin PCI-E connector

1.7K Posts

October 23rd, 2010 22:00

The Dell power supplies are just a tailor fit with the wires cut to the length they need to be in your case.  Any retail power supply you buy is going to result in more clutter since the have longer cables to accommodate a variety of cases even full size ones.  

It is never a good idea to replace your power supply with a cheap one just because it has more watts with a higher-end graphics card.  Most power supplies are going to have a lot of 4-pin molex connectors besides everything else you need and these are often needed when adding extra case fans, but in your case you don't need them at all.  There is really not much you can do except to use tie straps to bundle them up to get the best possible air flow.  

The popular Corsair 450 VX should be more than enough for your system since it is a very strong unit that can easily peak to 550 watts, but like others it still has more than you need which is why a lot of people go with modular units when dealing with smaller cases like the mini towers.  However, these can cost more and a lot of them are just hybrid units with a lot of fixed cables that you again don't need so quite often you really don't gain much.    

In the end, you are better off buying a good name brand quality unit and dealing the best you can with the clutter.  I have done it many times.  

16 Posts

October 24th, 2010 04:00

Thanks for the advice and recommendation. Modular does sound attractive. Up till now I'd never heard of them before, but I don't think the price premium is worth it. I may be upgrading my graphics card in the future to something with the power draw of the Nvidia 470. You mention that the COrsair can push to 550W. Would it accommodate a card like the 470 in terms of power draw? 

Otherwise I'm also looking at this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-Power-Supply-Version-CMPSU-650TXUK/dp/B000Z7KHLA/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=IFE6S262Y2C3K&colid=21L85LKHRKUYJ - Corsair TX-650. 

Or is that just overkill for my system?

1.7K Posts

October 24th, 2010 09:00

The 450W would not be enough for the GTX 470.  I have the exact same Corsair 650W power supply you linked running with a GTX 260 Core 216 and I really like it compared to others that I have had.  It is really not overkill with what you currently have especially if you plan to upgrade in the future.  

16 Posts

October 29th, 2010 23:00

Thanks for your advice Michael J, 

I have decided to go with the Corsair 650W despite it's slightly higher price, as I would rather pay for quality and a longer warranty, as I know the hassle cheap power supplies can be having one blow up on me (from a bespoke computer manufacturer that is now defunct) and its replacement from Maplin going the same way within 2 years.

If you had any pictures of how the supply looks is in your case, they would be much appreciated :)

1.7K Posts

October 31st, 2010 08:00

I don't have a picture with the Corsair in it.  I do have a picture with the previous power supply I had which may give you an idea of how it would look.  I moved the Corsair to a custom built system as shown in the 2nd picture.   As you can see, there is a lot of extra cable length which I put in my lower optical bay opening so they would not get in the way of air flow in the case.    

7 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 00:00

Hi. Not a gamer but my PS went bad and I'm also about ready to add a graphics card (and disable the onboard Intel one -- so I can have multiple displays for securities trading) so your thread caught my eye. I've noticed "modular" in some descriptions and I've looked at Antec because they consistently give more SATA plugs. I hadn't put that together though; didn't realise that modular meant use just the cables you need. Here's one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371016           It's a 550w. I was going to get a 400 - 430w was one Antec had too - but this one is only 5 bucks more. I probably don't need the power, though I may have to add a second graphics card to get to 3 (or 4) monitors. PROBLEM: this has the top cooling fan. Can it be on the bottom? Will it work? Can I make it work? 

I'll check out other threads for more graphics card info but you guys were right on the money for me: I was hating the thought of that god-awful jumble of wires. Not only is air circulation a concern but I worry that an errant loop or connector, or just the pressure of forcing . . . errr -  persuading - the wires into the case, could impinge some component and do some real damage too. Thanks for this thread!    Bear

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 03:00

Thanks for uploading the images. Much appreciated.  I actually managed to stuff all the cabling into the empty space beside the hard drive bays. Out of sight and do not get in the way of airflow. Very happy with my Corsair :)

16 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 03:00

I managed to get a 1 year old Corsair tx650W off ebay for £42, which is a Bargain. It was easy to install, and the array of connectors means I'll not need a new supply in a long time. Particularly as it has 8 sata connectors, when the maximum I need for my Dell is 4. It runs a little quieter than my dell supply, and the extra wires are not an issue, because firstly, they are insulated in a cotton mesh, which makes them tidier and easier to push into open areas of the case without too many problems or tie together using cable ties. Very happy I went for the Corsair

@BearPa - I think that the Corsair 650w would be right up your street. You are given two graphic card wires so you can run two medium power graphics cards at once. Obviously top of the range cards would require 850w +. I think 8x Sata should be enough for most people. I have two hard drives and 1 dvd rom, so currently using 3, and have 5 spare. I read that modular power supplies can end up being more bulky. I was like you when first thinking about upgrading, jumbles of wires were the last thing I wanted, particularly because the Dell Vostro 430 case is pretty small, but wiring has generally not disrupted the airflow of the case and takes up less space than you expect, once you've connected all the devices you use, the only extraneous cabling are the spare sata cables, and a few 4 pin molex. 

7 Posts

November 2nd, 2010 12:00

Hey - I answered one of my own questions - the picture on Newegg shows the end with the mounting screw holes and the fan is indeed on the bottom. I don't think I'll need as much power as you but that model also comes with 2 x PCI-E and 6 x SATA connectors and has 3 x 12V rails. Sounds like you got a deal though.      Thanks,   Bear

No Events found!