Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 9th, 2017 14:00

Possible to update BIOS with unsupported OS?

Hi! I need to perform a BIOS update on my Inspiron 530s to support a new processor. The problem is, it appears as if Dell only offers the upgrade on Windows platforms, and I'm running Ubuntu 17.04. Is it possible to upgrade the BIOS some other way? Thanks for your time.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 9th, 2017 17:00

What version of BIOS is running now, and do you know that a later version adds support for any new processors?

I see 3 versions of BIOS listed on the support page, 1.0.18, 1.0.2 and 1.0.1. None of them mentions adding support for new CPUs.

They are in "universal" format, meaning they can be run from a DOS bootable USB stick or from Windows. So create a bootable USB and copy the BIOS .exe file onto it. Boot from the USB and run the .exe.

Keep in mind there's always a chance a BIOS update will brick the motherboard, so you update entirely at your own risk.

2 Posts

August 9th, 2017 19:00

en.community.dell.com/.../19372573 and a few other sources I don't remember mention 1.0.15 adding support for the Core 2 Duo.

And in en.community.dell.com/.../19464216 , a Dell employee mentions BIOS upgrades not working in DOS.

"As informed by DELL-Harish R  you will never be able to flash BIOS in DOS prompt or outside the Operating system. The system should boot to the desktop to perform this step."

I'm not sure what version of the BIOS it is currently running (as I cannot check as of the moment)

but I know it hasn't been upgraded since stock.

Thanks for your time.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 10th, 2017 11:00

1.0.15 isn't listed on the 530s Support page but I did find it another way. And it does say it adds additional CPU support. That additional CPU support should be carried over into the latest version, 1.0.18, so you only need to update to the latest version.

The support page for BIOS 1.0.18 says: "The Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format can be used to install from any Windows or MS DOS environment", and the installation instructions on that same page provide details about running it from the DOS environment. So you should be able to run it from a DOS formatted, bootable USB stick.

No Events found!