Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 24th, 2009 00:00

Precision 380 randomly shuts down with NO blue screen of death leaves high pitch noise

Have a Precision 380 that randomly shuts down and then leaves NO blue screen of death but just sits there. It does not turn off but the screen is blank. Sometimes you can move the mouse or hit a key and it will come back up as if on screen saver. I have made sure the settings are all set to NEVER on the POWER controls. Other times when it turns off it a leaves high pitch noise coming from the motherboard. There is a little buzzer/horn on the MB that makes the squeeling sound. The computer can be rebooted and then acts normally after the crash until you start doing something. This PC has a P4 so the cpu would not overheat. The temps are all ok. I am running the extended test from the F12 feature and it running still after 45 minutes. However, if I try to run Mcafee virus scanner in windows it will crash after only a few minutes. The pc is running XP Professional.

Thanks for any thoughts on this!

238 Posts

April 24th, 2009 12:00

Have you checked the motherboard for any bulged or leaking capacitors?  Sometimes they will squeal or will not be able to hold a charge causing things to fail on the motherboard.

Brent

May 2nd, 2009 09:00

The sound is clearly coming from a fairly good sized black round buzzer-type item that is located just to the right of the green light on the motherboard. There is writing on this but too small to read. You can see it on this weblink which shows the motherboard. If you press your finger on it the sound gets louder. I have looked for any kind of diagnostic that explains this but I cannot even find a detail description of what the components are on the motherboard. After running the Dell diagnostic it found no hardware errors. The computer has a four number system on the front 1  2  3  4 . With different combinations of these being lit refer to certain errors. However, it does not have ANY lit after it fails. I did a system restore back as far as it would go (January 2009) to no avail. So I am still stumped!

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-4669/Dell-Precision-380-Motherboard,/Detail

2 Posts

October 24th, 2009 13:00

I have the exact same problem with a precision 380.  1st the Screen Goes blank, then the speaker on the mother board makes a high pictched noise. I have appliced new thermal paste (artic Silver 5) to the cpu, same problem. I have also reseated all conectors on the motherboard.  CPU heatsync  feels warm not hot, I do not think it's overheating. I checked all capacitors on the motherboard and  they look fine, none of them are leeking or swelling. all the fans are working.  CPU is a Pentium D. Run all the diag. tests as stated above and the systems passes. I thnk it's a bad motherboard but I am not sure. Computer is running xp pro. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Message

July 22nd, 2010 15:00

Hi,  I was wondering (I know its been a while since you posted this) if you ever solved this problem.  I am having the EXACT same issue?

No Events found!