Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 27th, 2014 16:00

Precision 690 BIOS downgrading?

Hello, i am in the hands of a Dell Precision 690, with all the normal stuff (including a duel core) which i want to change, i understanded there is a bypass for the DT029 motherboard not being compatiblewith quad cores if you downgrade your bios to A01, i have tried so mainy ways to do this, booting the update in windows, flashing it via usb flash drive booting and using DOSbox, nothing has surprised me, please help i have a quad-core sitting on my disk in its protective packet, just waiting to be used, i've tried booting on A02 with the quad-core in place but it doesn't allow it, how can i downgrade my bios to this using windows: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriverDetails/Product/precision-690?driverId=R129239

3 Posts

May 4th, 2016 09:00

I actually just put in two X5355 in my 690 last night and I didnt need to downgrade from the A08 to A01. 

The bios just needs to be reset to initialize and accept the new CPUs. 

After many trials I figured out that to do this you will need to purge all the power from the computer, remove the cmos battery, press and hold the power button. After these steps I put in both CPU and without any fail the machine booted up without issue and recognized both quad cores. Of course after that put the cmos battery back in. 

Hope this helps

May 4th, 2016 08:00

Were you every able to get this figured out?

Also, I am curious as to what process you used to downgrade the BIOS.  I am running A08 and want to downgrade to A01, but heard of serveral people brinking their motherboards.  The A01 exe file wont run in windows, just give and error.

3 Posts

May 4th, 2016 12:00

after you do this though be careful not to make any changes in the slightest or it will scream at you that the CPUs are incompatible and you will have to reset the bios again.

I also read during my research that if you leave the computer off longer than an hour that you will have to do this process again. I think I debunked that though since I had mine off all day and booted right up without issue for me.

May 4th, 2016 16:00

after you do this though be careful not to make any changes in the slightest or it will scream at you that the CPUs are incompatible and you will have to reset the bios again.

I also read during my research that if you leave the computer off longer than an hour that you will have to do this process again. I think I debunked that though since I had mine off all day and booted right up without issue for me.

Thanks for the reply!!  

What model and rev of the motherboard are you running?  I heard that the MY171/revA02 has no issues.  I am running on the MY171/revA00 (referring to the motheboard rev, not BIOS rev).  This is where I was having some questions about the compatibility. 

No Events found!