Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 15th, 2017 08:00

Precision T3610 USB 3.0 Port Disconnects resuming from Sleep Mode

Hello,

I have an external USB 3.0 Hard Drive I use to run Portable Apps plugged into my Precision T3610 rear USB 3.0 port.  This setup worked flawlessly running Windows 7 Pro.

I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and now my external drive disconnects causing my apps to crash when resuming from Sleep Mode.  Under Power Options, I turned off USB Selective Suspend and unchecked all "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" Power Management tab for all Universal Serial Bus Controllers under Device Manager.  I also updated my machine to the latest BIOS and drivers from Dell.

Since I have my Toshiba laptop running Windows 10 using the same external hard drive setup with no problems, is there a Windows 10 driver issue with Dell's USB 3.0 port?  Has anyone experienced the same problem?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brandon

• 

17K Posts

August 15th, 2017 10:00

behofmann,

Click the link below to try some of the settings suggested in the thread on the Windows 10 forum.  When you your system drivers did you update the chipset drivers as well? 

Sleep/Wake Issues in Windows 10

4 Posts

August 15th, 2017 10:00

Hi Jesse,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, the Dell Support page installed the Chipset Intel Management Engine Components and Network Intel Ethernet Network Driver updates.  I also manually updated the BIOS to the latest version.

It's weird that Windows 7 Pro was perfect, but Windows 10 Pro has this issue.  Could the Renesas USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller be having problems on Windows 10?  I noticed the driver is pretty old, but I did a search in Device Manager and it said it was the best driver available.

Thanks for help.

Brandon

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 15th, 2017 12:00

Try turning off Hybrid Sleep on the Power plan advanced options screen.

4 Posts

August 16th, 2017 07:00

I turned off Hybrid Sleep, but still have the same problem where Windows 10 resuming sleep mode reconnects with my external drive launching Explorer trying to run AutoRun.inf.  Any other ideas?  Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 11:00

Have you checked the hard drive manufacturer's site for a possible firmware or driver update to fix compatibility issues with Win 10 ? Just a thought...

4 Posts

August 16th, 2017 12:00

Thanks Ron for your input.  I chatted with the StarTech.com, the manufacturer of my external drive enclosure, and there are no firmware or driver updates.  Also this same drive works properly on my laptop running Windows 10 with the same Power settings applied previously mentioned.

I welcome any additional suggestions.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 16th, 2017 14:00

You might go to Intel's site and download their wizard which will scan your hardware to see if there are any more recent Intel drivers for your system.

downloadcenter.intel.com/.../Intel-Driver-Update-Utility

No Events found!