Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

November 23rd, 1999 01:00

RDRAM

I was wondering if anyone knows how well this new RDRAM will work with Photoshop. I wanted to upgrade to the new memory with a new computer and wanted to know if I could get by with 128 megs of rdram because of the enhancements they added to it. How much better perfomance could I expect with the new RDRAM compared to SDRAM. I frequently work on graphic files that can get up to 50 megs.

2 Posts

That's what I thought too. I had thought to get 256 megs of rdram but it's way too expensive. You get hit with an additional $600 for the extra 128 megs. I think I'm going to just 256 megs of sdram and use the extra money for other upgrades like video cards and DVD. Thanks for responding!

3.9K Posts

Ouch! If you're working with files that big...I don't know how much RAM you need, but I'm sure it's more than 128MB! I'm not sure off hand how much of a performance improvement you would see with RDRAM over SDRAM in Photoshop. RDRAM has a much higher transfer rate...but also has much higher latency (how long it takes to find a specific location in memory.

3 Posts

November 23rd, 1999 05:00

Thought you might be interested in this link. They have several benchmark results with the 820 and 840 chipsets.
http://www.rambus.com/
No Events found!