Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 14th, 2013 05:00

Replacement of Motherboard in Dell Slim Desktop Inspiron 620

Hi All,

I have a Dell Slim Desktop 620 and motherboard has gone bad. It had i3 2120 intel i3 chip. I was planning to replace the old mother board with

Intel DB75EN Motherboard. I have few doubts please see below

1) I think both motherboards are of Micro-ATX type so i can replace the dead motherboard with the Intel . Am i right ?

2) I have a graphic card ATI Radeon 6450 with PCIe 2.0 connector. Will this graphic card connect with the new mother board ?

3) Will the Intel chip i3 2120 fit into the new INTEL motherboard as the connector type is LGA 1155. And i dont know what connector type the original motherboard has ?

4) Is the existing power supply sufficient for the new mother board ? I am using Dual Desktop.

5) How do i connect the front usb and micro SD card reader in the cabinet to the new mother board ? Is it possible to do this ?

Thank you all in advance.

Best Regards

Tintin

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

May 14th, 2013 06:00

1) I think both motherboards are of Micro-ATX type so i can replace the dead motherboard with the Intel . Am i right ?

You will have to buy another dell motherboard of the same type for it to fit the slim line case

2) I have a graphic card ATI Radeon 6450 with PCIe 2.0 connector. Will this graphic card connect with the new mother board ?

Graphics cards wll work even  when moving it from one board to another.

3) Will the Intel chip i3 2120 fit into the new INTEL motherboard as the connector type is LGA 1155. And i dont know what connector type the original motherboard has ?

That will be no problem on your new dell motherboard.

4) Is the existing power supply sufficient for the new mother board ? I am using Dual Desktop.

You can uipgrade your power supply if you like, but your current  power supply  will be no problem.

5) How do i connect the front usb and micro SD card reader in the cabinet to the new mother board ? Is it possible to do this

?

If you use a motherboard of the same type, then no problems. I you try to install another motherboard of a different type, you may havt to cut away casing to get the I/O to fit.

1.5K Posts

May 14th, 2013 06:00

Hi Tintin,

@RobinBredin: Thank you for the inputs; appriciate it.

1. You are absolutely right. Both Intel DB75EN Motherboard and motherboard shipped with Inspiron 620 have Micro-ATX form factor.
  2. Intel DB75EN Motherboard has PCI-e 2.0 connector, so the motherboard should be able to support the graphics card. For more information on Intel Motherboard, you may refer to the link: http://intel.ly/Nq63Hk.
  3. The connector type for processor on the motherboard shipped with Inspiron 620 is LGA 1155(Sandy Bridge).
  4. The system is shipped with 250 Watt PSU. However the graphics card you want to upgrade to needs power supply greater than 400 Watt. You may have to replace the existing power supply as per the up gradation.
  5. For parts disassembly and reassembly, you may refer to system Owner’s Manual link: http://bit.ly/15ITcwc.

*Note: The OEM disk for operating system will not work with the system after replacing the motherboard and the retail version of operating system disk would be needed.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to reply for any further questions.

May 14th, 2013 07:00

Dear Mr. Amogh

So i can easily replace the dell original Motherboard with INTEL  DB75EN Motherboard. There will not be any issues. Caz  Mr. Robin is suggesting to go with only DELL motherboard. Can u please explain more on this. Thank you

Regards,

Nithin

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 14th, 2013 08:00

You need a Dell GDG8Y motherboard.   Intel DB75EN is not a Dell Motherboard.  The Front Panel and Rear Panel are Proprietary as well as the connections for Audio and USB Etc.

It will not Physically Fit nor will it work in your Dell 620S case.

INTEL DB75EN

Dell GDG8Y  FOXCONN MIH61R

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

It will not Physically Fit nor will it work in your Dell 620S case.

They're both mATX, and the potential blocker is whether or not the 620s IO shield is detachable.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 14th, 2013 09:00

Yes. However, if the 620s does not have a detachable rear IO shield, you will have to cut out an opening for the new board's IO shield.

Yes.

Yes

Yes.

5) How do i connect the front usb and micro SD card reader in the cabinet to the new mother board ? Is it possible to do this ?

These ports connect to standard USB headers on the motherboard. Where you'll have some tinkering is with the front panel connector: you may need to substitute a set of two-wire sockets for the single large one. (You can order these sockets via mail from FrontX.)

May 17th, 2013 05:00

Hi All

Thank you so much for ur replies.

So after reading all the comments. I think I will cut the rear IO shield and make space. So this should make the intel motherboard back panel sit with Dell 620 case. Now everything will work except for the Front USB and Card Reader.

So thank u guys. I will go with the intel motherboard as the DELL 620 is out of warranty and they are charging a bomb

for the replacement board.

Regards

Nithin

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 17th, 2013 07:00

The 620S is not an ATX OR MATX.  The I/0 Panel is not removable its stamped out of the entire backside of the case which is then rivited or welded together.  i suppose one might try nibbling a rectangle hole in the back and putting a plate over that but this is not plug and play.  The windows restore dvd would also be not activated.  The physical mounting holes are not guaranteed to be standard as well.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

May 17th, 2013 09:00

If Windows won't load, you can download a generic install ISO, reinstall and reactivate with your COA's product key.

I suggest tinsnips to create an opening for the IO shield.

The holes will line up, like they did when I installed an Asus P8P67-M PRO in an XPS 7100 case. (Fortunately, said case has a removable IO shield.)

May 30th, 2013 03:00

Hi All

I was able to replace Dell Motherboard with Intel DB75EN motherboard. The intel motherboard was 1.5 inch larger than the Dell board. It was a very tight fit, i had to re route all the wires and make space. Also the IO shield was removable,it just pops out when pushed and i was able to use the new IO shield that came with the INTEL motherboard. One major issue was the connector of power button with LED status lights. It  is DELL proprietary so it did not work work i had to re-wire it and was able to get only power button working.  The only i was not able to get working was the front SD/MMC card reader and Front Internal Fan used for cooling hard disk as there are no connectors for this in the Intel Motherboard.

Thank you all again

Regards

Nithin

No Events found!