Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2008 21:00

SLI User Advantages?

Trying to decide whether to use SLI in a 630 or not.

Aside from the benchmarking, which is debatable, are there any other user advantages of SLI which will make it worthwhile such as dual monitor advantages etc???.

Appreciate any input from those who have SLI

TIA

July 4th, 2008 22:00

For his-resolution gaming, SLI is awesome.  You cannot use two monitors with SLI enabled.  For anything other than gaming, SLI doesn't do a thing.

201 Posts

July 5th, 2008 00:00

It increases the FPS I get when playing Conan.  Thats enough for me.
Message Edited by foehammer25 on 07-04-2008 08:20 PM

59 Posts

July 5th, 2008 01:00

hi scream_and_fly  -  does this mean  you have to manually enable/disable the sli when going from desktop (2 monitors) over to gaming?

tia

foehammer25 -  You're missing the point, for the same money as your 2 cards I can buy a single card which will beat your 2. Hence I am looking for 'other reasons/advantages to go sli.

Message Edited by malik999 on 07-04-2008 09:43 PM

201 Posts

July 5th, 2008 17:00

"foehammer25 -  You're missing the point, for the same money as your 2 cards I can buy a single card which will beat your 2. Hence I am looking for 'other reasons/advantages to go sli."

I am not missing the point.  You are not taking what I said seriously.  Perhaps you do not play games.  If you can buy a single card that can "beat" my 2 then do that.  What I am saying is if you buy 2 of those superior video cards then alot of games will run faster (if not now then in the future).  As far as I know, that is the only advantage of SLI.

Directly answering your question: No, there are no other reasons/advantages to go SLI.  Only increased graphic processing speed.  If that isn't important to you, then do not go SLI.  It would be a waste of money.

July 8th, 2008 17:00

Malik999,  I have run 2 different SLI configurations.  When i bought my XPS-710 18 months ago I went with a Quad-SLI 7950GX2 setup.  My main reason for running SLI was to get Anti-Aliasing and Anisotropic Filtering at extreme graphics resolutions with as little drop in frame rates as possible.  Unfortunately the Quad-SLI was pretty much a failed experiment at that time with the 7950's.  Also the 7950's are not DX10 compliant.  I then upgraded to a XPS-720 H2/C and I now run 2 Nvidia 8800 GTX OC's that are SLI'd.  Again this is so I can run extreme resolutions and have AA and AS set to very high levels. This, for me, is for Flight Simulator X.  Any flight simmer will tell you that AA and AS settings are crucial to the flight sim experience.

As far as SLI on multiple monitors goes, it is possible.  You can't do it with out some hardware help though.  I run 3 24" monitors in SLI.  In order to do this you have te purchase the Triple Head To Go (THTG) from Matrox.  There are some limitations, but for what I do it is a fantastic setup.

Hope this helps...

WW

Message Edited by WhiteWizard62 on 07-08-2008 01:14 PM
No Events found!