Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 2nd, 2013 06:00

Screen Blinking Randomly on Optiplex9010 AIO

Hello,

I bought  2  of OptiPlex 9010 All-in-One on Early December 2012 , 1 for my sis and 1 for me. Our offices are different locations (20 mins driving).

As I began using the newly bought PC, I noticed that my screen was blinking randomly among the day as I work, sitting in front of this PC all day/everyday 8 AM - 5PM.

Sometimes 3-4 times in 5 mins or sometimes no blinking for 3-4 hour. I tried to figured out what happened or which program/anything that cause it but I had no clue at all, it was totally random. I made sure that all the drivers are up-to-date. Bios, Video card, ... and such. 

I called Pro-support and Tech replaced LCD Cable and Mainboard (on December 2012). The blinking frequency is somewhat lower, however, it's still remain. 

Since then, I have been busy with work and using that PC as it has no other additional problem apart from the blinking during the day.    

January 2013, I upgraded OS from Win7 to Win8pro 64 bits and other related drivers (with Pro Support called). The screen still keep blinking with sometimes higher frequency. I called pro-support again, this time tech replaced 4GM RAM (I have 2 X 4GB), Main board, LCD cable, and LCD screen. 31 Jan 2013, after Tech left my house, I began working with this PC, however, the blinking still there. I totally ran out of Idea what caused the problem... 

Then I called my sister who had been using the same Model 9010 AIO, asking her if this particular issue happened to her PC too (We never talked about this issue before). She replied Yes, she was wondering why the screen had been blinking too! but she's low-tech non-IT,being just normal user, then she'd just kept that to herself...

Anyone has any idea/know what cause the problem? I like this 9010AIO very much, good looking, color, design,  and match with my business place. I just want to get rid of this randomly blinking screen.

Thanks 

21 Posts

June 19th, 2013 02:00

Update: Dell Tech Team release the new firmware for 9010 AIO,

The tech said this firmware should fix the blinking issue.

I've updated about 7 hour ago, got no blinking after that.

I will do more testing and inform here again.

June 29th, 2014 03:00

Install the EDID Update Tool under "Patches And Fixes" on Dells Support Pages. This fixed the problem for me (works only for machines with touchscreen).

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2013 11:00

Hi Kittikpt,

It's not clear to me that this is a hardware problem. It might be, but I think Dell is just throwing hardware at you hoping that something sticks. Obviously, they missed so far.

My suggestion is to boot to an alternate operating system and see if the problem is reproduced. The logical choice would be some flavor of Linux, such as this Ubuntu version. The other bootable disc you have is your Dell drivers and utilities disc. You can boot to that and play with running various diagnostic tests and see if the problem occurs.

Glad to hear your system is new, so Dell should be on top of things. Eventually, failing further attempts to fix the problem, they should be willing to give you a new system. Please encourage your sister to go ahead and call in her problem as well.

21 Posts

February 2nd, 2013 18:00

Thank you Osprey, Dell tech. also ask me to remain in Bios screen via F2 and observe the blinking

,which is quite similar to your suggestion, right?

I am now observing in Bios, will update the results.

21 Posts

February 3rd, 2013 05:00

Update:

8 AM - 10.30AM

I stayed in Bios Screen , I didn't notice any blinking.

However, on someday before, I noticed there was no blinking on windows OS the whole morning either.

10.31 AM - 3.00 PM

I must begins my work so I switched to Windows OS. There was no blinking on windows OS during this period.

3.01 PM - 5 PM

The blinking kicked in, 4 times in 10 minutes time frame and continue to periodically blinking now and then until 5PM, I left my office.

During observation, my sister sent me the screen blinking Video she recorded it today(3 Feb 2013) just before she called me on iPhone. At that time, there are no program running at all, just Windows desktop on her PC.

I attached the Video as shown below;

Blinking @ 0.07

**** Video Shown at Next reply (sorry) ****

Here is my blinking screen recorded today too

blinking @  0.07 (sorry for the moving camera - I was talking to customer while recording)

http://en.community.dell.com/cfs-file.ashx/__key/communityserver-discussions-components-files/3514/7178.MyscreenBlink.MOV

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 3rd, 2013 14:00

So it's only during your Windows session and not while you're in the BIOS. Did you try the diagnostics? I'm curious to know what happens there.

(Sorry I'm unable to view your video. Missing some plug-in, I think.)

February 5th, 2013 12:00

I am having the same issue with two PCs at my work.  I have tried all of the same steps that you have.  I am posting on here, so that if I find a solution I will remember to post it up on here.  Thanks for the video as well.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi farleydwnsu,

Does the screen blink when you're in the Dell diagnostics?

21 Posts

February 10th, 2013 16:00

Right now one of PC is with Dell Tech for investigate the issue. I will update how it goes here when I get contact from them.

February 12th, 2013 06:00

Thanks for the update.  I am thinking I might have to send a few of the problem AIOs to Dell as well.

21 Posts

February 21st, 2013 09:00

Update: Dell Tech returned the 9010 AIO PC. He replaced M/B (3rd time) LCD cable (3rd time) and LCD converter(1st time)

As I observed for 2 weeks ,the blinkling rate is significantly lower (which is good).

From 10+ time per office hour to 2-3 times per Office hour.

It still blink but It didn't bother me as much as before.

Recently, As for my 2nd 9010 at sister's place, the tech replaced the same parts as my case.

The result shows that the blinking rate is also significantly lower.

In conclusion, eventhough the blinking still occur for unknown reason,

the frequency of happening is so low that I can deal with it : 2-3 times per day.

Hope that help others with same problem.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 21st, 2013 15:00

Well, I'm certainly glad things are improved.

10 Posts

May 17th, 2013 13:00

Blinking starts when an electronic wireless device was turn on and the device was located about 5 feet from Optiplex AIO 9010 pc.  Read online that blinking of monitor may be due to electronic/electrical interference.

Turn off the electronic wireless device (wifi radio smart repeater) and the blinking stops immediately.

Hope this helps.

21 Posts

May 20th, 2013 11:00

Thanks sop23456,

Unfortunately, its hard to avoid the radio signal since almost every customer bring one with them all day and this 9010 is used as Substitute character removed as per TOU>. And this blinking issue is not happened with other nearby PC (different brand) or even my previous PC at this Substitute character removed as per TOU>.

Update: I am still trying to solve this issue with Dell tech team, we might have a solution soon. I will update once its fixed.

No Events found!