Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

G

July 13th, 2001 01:00

Security & Privacy

Some basic questions regarding internet security and privacy.

1. When I'm on the web, can the Dell Service Tag be used to uniquely identify my computer?
2. Can the websites I visit retrieve my name from the Author field of MS Word?
3. Can the websites I visit retrieve my e-mail address?

If the answer to any of these questions is yes, security suggestions limiting personal information dissemination will be appreciated. Thanks.

632 Posts

July 13th, 2001 01:00

I am not sure about your three questions but I do know that web sites can identify your IP address.

That is the address assigned to you by your internet provider. Static IP addresses do not change from one connect session to another. Dynamic IP addresses are assigned at the time you connect.

Your internet provider could provide the appropriate info to the authorities to uniquely identify you or at least your PC. You have certain privacy rights that must be honored but your ISP will turn over info about you if necessary.

Joe

Message Edited on 07/12/01 10:55PM by joecapp

1.4K Posts

July 13th, 2001 02:00

Yes.

The best solution is a personal firewall. I recommend Zone Alarm...it's freeware and, it's excellent:

http://www.zonelabs.com/

Dan

20 Posts

July 13th, 2001 13:00

Thanks for your suggestion. Until receiving your affirmative response to my queries, I thought I might be a little paranoid about security and privacy. Clearly someone put alot of work into Zone Alarm as the user's manual is 163 pages, but the program's user interface seems well designed. I have a learning curve to surmount and this appears to be a good starting point. Thanks again.

1.4K Posts

July 13th, 2001 20:00

The "learning curve" is actually fairly short. The great thing about the program is, it's very effective and very easy to use.

Steve Gibson has a great site (Shields Up) for learning more about internet security...and, firewall effectiveness:

http://grc.com/

Good Luck...

Dan

20 Posts

July 13th, 2001 21:00

You are correct regarding the learning curve, I have it up and running, but there is a conflict with my UPS power management software. I've tried all possible permutations and combinations for paserver.exe and portmgr.exe but ZA continues to decline the server request. (The software is PowerAlert from Tripp Lite.) The temporary work-around is to manually activate ZA from a desktop icon until I figure out how to precisely control Start Up launch order. Thanks for the Gibson reference, I'll check into it.

No Events found!