Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 18th, 2013 12:00

Side buttons don't work on new xps 18 mouse

How to I get the side buttons on the xps 18 mouse to work.  When I go into the mouse properties there aren't any options for the side buttons on the mouse.  It looks like it needs a updated driver but the support page doesn't offer one. 

July 18th, 2013 13:00

Hi bk3,

Dell XPS 18 is shipped with Dell KM 714 wireless keyboard and mouse. It does not require a driver installation. The side button on mouse is used for Mouse Windows 8 Gestures and can be used to bring the side bar and switch apps. The side buttons is available on both right and left side of the mouse and has the same functional use. You may refer to list of Windows gestures below :

• Side Button + Move Left = Windows charms
  • Side Button + Move Right = App switch
  • Wheel forward/ backward = Vertical scrolling
  • Wheel Left tilt / Right tilt = Pan Left/ Pan Right
  • Side button + Wheel forward/ backward = Zoom In/ Out
  • Side Button + Wheel Left tilt = Back
  • Side Button + Wheel Right tilt = Forward

These functions are predefined and are not controlled by properties. 

Hope this helps.

July 18th, 2013 14:00

Hi bk3,

Unfortunately, Dell does not offer any application to assign the mouse buttons for specific functions. However, I did some research and found that a couple of third party software's are available that can be used to assign specific controls to mouse buttons. For example Microsoft Intellipoint, X-Mouse button control. You may refer to article Here for configuring X-Mouse button control.

Note : Dell has neither tested nor endorses above applications. However, you may try these and see if it solves your purpose.

Hope this helps.

3 Posts

July 18th, 2013 13:00

So, there is no way to make the left side button a back button in windows explorer.  Thanks for the gestures info.  That is very helpful.

3 Posts

July 19th, 2013 12:00

Ok, I have another question since you have been very helpful.  When I hit the space key on the keyboard it only works half the time.  If I press it firmly it works normally but if I hit is softly then it will click but not move the cursor.  Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity for the Dell KM 714 wireless keyboard?

July 22nd, 2013 18:00

Hi bk3,

I would suggest you to test the keyboard with an alternate system (if available) and see if the issue persists. Also, check if there is any dust in the keyboard and try cleaning it with a soft cloth or blowing dust off with the help of compressed air can and see if it helps.

If the issue persists, keyboard replacement might be required. Please share the system Service Tag via Private Message (Click on my name and click Start Conversation). I will look into the details and take it further from there.

1 Message

July 31st, 2013 16:00

I have the exact same issue with the KM714 keyboard on my new XPS18. The Dell technician came out yesterday and replaced it but the replacement keyboard does the exact same thing. He told me that instead of having two sensors under it there is only one so you have to push the center to get it to work. Just typing this message, I have gone back 7 times to separate words where I hit the spacebar off to the side and so no space was produced. I cannot live with this keyboard.

No Events found!