Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 11th, 2013 15:00

Sound Volume Control

When I first got my XPS-8500 I could control the sound volume with three (3) red keyboard keys located on the top row of the keyboard.  I am using a HDMI connection between the computer and video monitor with speakers.  In the process of setting up various programs I apparently changed something that resulted in me no longer being able to control the audio volume via the keyboard keys.  Can anyone help me restore that capability?  Thanks.  

1.1K Posts

March 11th, 2013 19:00

Hi Sander35,

Are you using the same keyboard shipped along with your system at the time of purchase? Please share the model of the keyboard (it should be located on the bottom of the keyboard on a bar coded sticker). Is it a wireless keyboard? If so, I will recommend you to install wireless utility from support site depending on the wireless keyboard you are using:

• Click on the link: http://dell.to/QjjZDA
  • Enter your system's Service Tag and select the operating system.
  • Expand 'Input' and install the utility depending on the model of the wireless keyboard.
  • Restart the system and check if the issue is fixed.

In case the issue still persists, you may try performing a system restore and see if that makes a difference:

Note: System Restore does not result into data loss; however all software changes made to the laptop after the chosen 'restore date' will be rolled back.

- Go to Start screen
- Type 'System Restore', and then, in the list of results, click 'System Restore'
- Confirm your 'Restore point'
- Finish the restore as per the on-screen instructions

Keep me posted. Please reply for any further questions.

4 Posts

March 12th, 2013 15:00

Hi Vikram,

Thank you for your response.  Yes, I am using the same keyboard that shipped along with my system at time of purchase.  The model number is: DP/N OXD31W.  It is not wireless.  Being able to adjust the volume from the keaboard while viewing a full-screen app is a very handy feature.  I will give the 'System Restore' a try.  Again, thanks.

Sander35

1.1K Posts

March 18th, 2013 02:00

Hi Sander35,

Did you perform the system restore? Was it successful? Please share the results.

4 Posts

March 21st, 2013 15:00

No, have not tried a 'System Restart' yet.  However, I have achieved the desired results by using the '3RVX.exe" program to assign key strokes 'Ctrl-Mouse Wheel UP & Ctrl-Mouse Wheel DOWN" to achieve 'Volume Up' and 'Volume Down' respectively.  Will try 'System Restart' at later date if

required.  Thank  you.   Sander35

No Events found!