Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 16th, 2009 16:00

Sound problems

I've been unable to hear any sound on my Dell Dimension 9200 since mid-July when running Windows.  My configuration is:

Dell DXP061; Vista Home Premium SP2; Sigmatel High Definition Audio CODEC (onboard); BIOS Dell 2.5.3; Chipset Intel P965/G965.

The driver for my Sigmatel sound card is version 6.10.0.5866.

I've checked all the usual stuff. The sound isn't muted.  The onboard sound is set to 'On'.  Everything in Device Manager is working properly.

The only error message I've seen is when I try to open an mp3 file, and Windows Media Player gives the error: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device.  There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly'.

The sound worked fine when I booted up from a Linux CD, so my conclusion is it must be a Vista-related software problem of some sort.

Unfortunately I have no System Restore points from before the sound failed, and I really don't want to reinstall my entire computer, so any help or suggestions would be gratefully received.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 16th, 2009 17:00

The Dell listed Sigma Tel version is 6.10.0.5511, A04,<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed / replaced from this post by Dell>

which is older the version you have, suggesting you don't have a Dell supplied sound driver and that could be the problem.

Suggest you uninstall the Sigma Tel in the Device Manager, including uninstalling the driver, restart the PC and DO NOT allow Windows  to search or install any sound driver - cancel that function, then when Windows finishes initialization, install the Dell Vista Sigma Tel driver and see if that fixes it.

RIGHT click on the Sigma Tel in the Device Manager then LEFT click on Uninstall and also check the Box to uninstall the driver.  Restart the PC and reinstall as directed.

2 Posts

September 17th, 2009 12:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

My Sigmatel driver is now 6.10.0.5511, but still no luck :emotion-6:.

No Events found!