Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 13th, 2016 21:00

Static shocked USB cable , Aurora R5 won't turn on, help!

Firstly! I'm new to the forums, so I'm not quite sure if this is the right place to ask this sort of question, so my apologies in advance. Now to my question.

So today as I got back from work I turned on my Alienware Aurora R5, decided to recharge my headphones through the USB port on the top part of the PC (that was already plugged in) accidentally touched the male metal part of the mini USB to plug to my headphones causing a static shock thus me letting go of the cable, screen turned off and went back on, alright, I thought. Attempt two again touched the metal part since it's an extremely short fast charging mini USB cable this time the whole unit turned off, I pressed the power button attempting to turn it on but no luck, did some reading about trouble shooting (draining power taking out the coin battery on the motherboard etc.) no luck pressed the little button on the back of the power supply fans turn on graphics card green GTX green logos turn on so there is power going through the PC, I assume.

TLDR; static shocked USB cable plugged into the PC now it won't turn on.

Any ideas what could cause the problem? Costumer support will charge me $450 to send it in and service it because my problem isn't covered under my warranty, I just want a second opinion from the community before I make the costly decision. Thank you so much for any help you can provide!

7 Posts

December 26th, 2016 21:00

Srryi8yew:

Very similar issue for me, but under warranty.  Dell sent tech to my home with a new motherboard.  Old board's USB module had failed.  Installed a refurbished one (I thought they were going to install a new one - a little disappointed...).  The refurbished one's graphic card slot #1 would not work.  #2 slot did work.  All other functions OK.  Told Dell I wanted a replacement computer, they obliged.  I was at day 31 of my warranty period.  They sent a new computer.  It works fine.  However, I am noticing I get static shocks on it like I did the previous unit.  All of my other equipment (X-Box, LG TV, Home Theater speakers, etc) are plugged into the same and adjacent wall outlets'  None of them generate static shocks like the Aurora.  I am now concerned and will need to be extra careful till I figure this out.  I will double check my outlets to ensure the ground wires are connected.  If they are, I don't know what other steps I could take to reduce / elliminate this risk.

DELL-Robert P responded to you that you should ground yourself prior to touching your computer.   I have had a computer since the release of the Apple II ~ 1982 and have never grounded myself, nor have I ever had a static discharge cause a failure of any component.  There may be something else going on here.

Sorry about your out-of-pocket cost and time loss.  I was quite fortunate I was under warranty and Dell provided exceptional 5-star under warranty support.

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

December 14th, 2016 06:00

Hi Srryi8yew,

Thanks for posting.

Unfortunately it sounds like the static electricity damaged parts on the motherboard. You would probably have to replace it.  If you're looking online, they range from about $200-$400, depending on if you want new or refurbished.  You may be able to order one from Dell Spare Parts.  The price Tech Support quoted appears to be in line with industry standards.

An expensive lesson, but in the future, ground yourself prior to touching your computer.

http://dell.to/2hEOVG7

No Events found!