Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 17th, 2011 05:00

Studio 1555 BIOS Upgrade Fails

I have a Studio 1555 and it cuts out after a couple of hours of working. It has 8GB RAM and is loaded with Windows 7

When I checked, I saw that my BIOS was A08 which is out-of-date. A look on the various forums confirmed my belief that the BIOS upgrade will resolve the cut out issue.

However, whenever I try to upgrade, I get an "Dell Computer Flash BIOS Upgrade has stopped working" and the program closes. This happens when I try to upgrade to any version: A09, A10, A11 and A13...

Please can someone help?

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

September 17th, 2011 06:00

This section if for Desktop hardware.  There is a separate section for Laptops and best to post laptop problems there.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

September 17th, 2011 08:00

Shutoffs are usually caused by overheating and/or memory problems. Bios updates usually won't help and might cause severe problems. The most recent bios update has nothing to do with your problem. It is for Lojack malfunctions. Skip the download manager and click on the bios file to see the compatibility issues and fixes of each bios update. This is the A13 file: support.dell.com/.../download.aspx  Click on Previous versions to see what each upgrade does.

BTW--there are none labeled A09,10 or 11. Make sure you are looking at your model's bios downloads.The only bios updates for your model still listed are A12 and A13. You can really cause problems trying to use the wrong bios. Skip it and try cleaning out any blocked vents and running memory tests. Also for future --you cannot upgrade the bios if you don't have a working, charged battery and adapter that is plugged in. If your battery is old, weak, dead or missing, you cannot update the bios.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

September 17th, 2011 09:00

lprguid

A better forum to post this in, would be the Laptop forum HERE, this forum is for Desktop Hardware.

Bev.

6 Posts

September 18th, 2011 08:00

Thank you folks. I've re-posted to the correct forum

No Events found!