Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 22nd, 2009 13:00

Studio XPS 435MT Freezing

I have a studio XPS 435MT that I purchased from the Dell outlet. I've noticed over the past month or so that I would get random freezing in windows. The computer will lockup for no reason even while doing simple things like surfing the web. I ran the full diagnostic and it passed. However, during the system utilties test the computer locked up completely as well. I had to force the simple off. Any ideas what it could be?

35 Posts

August 12th, 2009 11:00

I've got a similar issues, my 435mt freezes, reboots or blue screens randomly.

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

Sounds like mine exactly. Although I just purchased on July 29th (scratch and dent) received on August 5th.  I have been having random shutdowns/reboots, bsod, freezes. This occurred at random times during boot (bios screen), sometimes during windows startup or after 5 to 10 minutes in an idle state, browsing the web, during windows update.

I installed Speed fan 4.39 and the temp is 72-77 degrees Celsius. I was suspecting the heat is causing the system to become unstable so I removed the side cover and pointed a desk fan on it only dropped it down to 48-50 but the system was stable with no reboots, bsod, or freezes so far. I was able to successfully update the bios, my chipsets, rom drivers, and video driver, all were out of date. Turned the fan off and closed the case back up. Rebooted and added speed fan as a startup item. The temp shot back up and it continued to freeze.  

Speed Fan listed the Stock fans at 1368 rpm for CPU and 1260 rpm for case and they are running at 100%. Will I have to swap the fans to keep this case cool or could this be an entirely different problem. On the BSOD it says something about clock or timing error but it reboots after a couple seconds and the system restarts.

1 Rookie

• 

6 Posts

September 6th, 2009 14:00

I purchased 435MT back in 11/08, and now I'm going through the exact same problem. Freezing tends to happen with IE8, WM running, with great temps per speedfans and okay memory usage. Has anyone figured out a solution to this?

November 24th, 2009 08:00

Issue resolution:

The system my company had was the same with lockups, BOSD and so on. We worked with Microsoft and Dell to resolve the issue. We found that the issue was with the i7 processor and via the dump file we found more information. The solution to the problem is to have the processor replaced. Once we replaced the CPU the system previously unstable because stable and has been running since.

Here is a bit more technical information incases:

The crash is because logical processors 0 and 1 are hung.

Taking a look at the functions HalHandleMcheck and HalpMceHandlerWithRendezvous, normally when a machine check occurs, the first CPU to enter the MCA code will wait for all the other processors to enter (which will happen via an INT 18 sent to all processors). It waits with a timeout of 5 seconds for all the other CPUs to enter. If not all CPUs respond before this, the machine bugchecks = BOSD and a dumpfile is written to disk.

Additional details can be found here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machine_Check_Exception

Hope that helps everyone with this issue.

11 Posts

December 2nd, 2009 12:00

I have similar issues, my 435mt freezes, reboots or blue screens randomly. Another problem i am having is a problem with my entire computer just shutting down when playing COD Modern Warfare 2 . Is this a overheating problem?? My temp is over 75C, and also my fan is going crazy when i play .

Anyone knows how to fix this problems ? Any solutions  please ? thanks

December 4th, 2009 19:00

If the fan is increasing it could be a heat issue.

Questions:
1. What processor do you have?
2. What graphics card to you have?
3. What operating system do you use?
4. What bit level? 32 or 64
5. Are you getting any windows error messages after a reboot?
6. How did you measure the 75C?
7. What is the temperature of you PC when you first boot? Take 3 temp readings and note the time of each
8. Does the symptoms only present themselves playing COD or other games
9. Can you use the PC without any problems when surfing the net or other less demanding PC tasks?
10. Have you tried a re-install [eject current HD and insert a new temporary HD to see if the issue is still happening?

It is not recommended in the long term but for testing have you tried removing the side panel to see if there are any changes in system stability? [removal will let the heat out but decrease optimal airflow], if there is an improvement you are dealing with a heating issue. Also if you typically can play games for the same amount of time from a cold boot it too hints at a heat issue.

15 Posts

December 5th, 2009 07:00

Open your side panel, place a big fan where the panel was to blow air directly on you pc components and try playing COD Modern Warfare 2. You should know straight away if you have a heat problem. For me that was it and my solution to the problem was simply to add a 120mm fan on the side panel. You don't necessarily need to cut a hole in your pc...just replace your panel with a foamcore or big cardboard and when your warranty will be done just cut the reel thing...

Good luck!

11 Posts

December 26th, 2009 16:00

I did exactly what cgxps wrote....

i opened panel and i blow cold air directly on my pc when playing COD modern warfare 2 and i was able to play all the time without computer shuting down

so i know that is overheating issue with the graphic card

i also run video hardware test and i have this error

ERROR CODE 5300:021 C

MSG: Video -detected problem with retrace status

does anyone knows what that error means?

do i need to replace video card for new one?

thanks

11 Posts

December 26th, 2009 17:00

My processor is

1. Intel core i7 920

2.Graphic card :ATI Radeon HD 4850

3.Windows Vista 64bit

5.No error messages after rebot

6.Actually Gpu core temperature 85C using " CPUID HardwareMonitor" when playing COD 115C

7.Same temp all the time 75C

8.only playing COD modern warfare 2

9.no problems surfing the net

hope this information help me to fix this issue

15 Posts

December 27th, 2009 08:00

I don't think you need to change your video card. Just install a 120mm or two 80mm fans on you side panel like amkothaw did :http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/19249582/19487672.aspx (look at the end of the page for pictures)

No Events found!