Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 1st, 2003 04:00

Suspend / Hibernate disabled on Dimension 8200

Starting several months ago I noticed that when shutting down, the Standby option was grayed out and could not be selected. Also, the ability to have the system hibernate no longer functions. These aren't exactly important features, but they used to work and I've  looked about everywhere to find some setting that got changed but with no luck.

I've made some hardware changes after the suspend option disappeared, but nothing significant beforehand. In searching the message board here, I couldn't find other threads complaining of this, and I am out of ideas to try. I've messed with bios settings, power schemes, etc... I added an inexpensive APC UPS a month ago, and it would be nice to actually be able to trust the system to self-hibernate if needed. Not crucial, but why is the option gone?

Basic system info:

Dimension 8200 1.7Ghz  - WinXP Home SP1

512 Mb RAM

bios ver A09

Any advice is appreciated. I will post more info if needed.

Thanks -Dave366

653 Posts

February 1st, 2003 05:00

Most of us complain when those "features" do work. Stanby and hibernate are designed for laptops to conserve battery power. They will ( sooner or later ) fail causing much greif.

Leave well enough alone.

2 Intern

• 

496 Posts

February 1st, 2003 14:00

Just something to try. 

Try uninstalling your video card drivers, reboot your computer, then reinstall the same drivers. 

This may sound dumb, and it maybe is, but it is worth a shot. 

No Events found!